Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Oldies up for auction

FC

Cheeks Auction Company in Aiken, SC is having an auction Saturday. You can see pictures on Auctionzip.com, zip code 29801. I’m very interested in the four barrel Brevete pistol. Also up are one Gras, one Arisaka, and a Vetterli rifle.

GrabAGun has a Traditions 1856 Navy for $190.

At the last auction I went to, I bought a 4 wheeler.  It was about 2 miles from my house.  It wouldn't start during the auction.  I fiddled with it and was ready to tow it home behind my truck, as in I was tying up the tow rope (Dr.Linda has "been there before") when I thought I would fiddle with the switch on the handlebar some more and it started right up.  Anyway, they had a Remington bolt gun in 243, I think, like new, plastic stock, scope, etc.  They sell new for $275 at wally world on sale.  It went for $275 or a little better. I don't know if I've ever seen a gun go for a bargain at an auction.

It's auction fever. I went to, three gun auctions after the city of Phoenix was forced to auction rather than destroy confiscated guns. The law was changed to now only allow FFL's to participate. I saw many of the guns selling for more than they cost new. I left the third auction held in the early 80's  within the first 15 minutes. A S&W 44 mag pulled up rusted from an irrigation ditch get bid up to over 500. The first auction I got a Colt Hammerless 380 for 50 and change only to discover to serial number had been ground off, missing the extractor and the grips were home made. 

Phoenix now auctions firearms in lots making it difficult for kitchen table FFL's. They might put a dozen guns together to be sold as one lot. I'm told that near the end the lots get larger as cops try to speed it up. Guns are randomly put together and the only separation are hand and long guns.