Military Firearm Restoration Corner

U-Boat Killer Video

FC

A visitor I used to get from the U.K. told us his father served on sub hunting bombers during the war. From what he told us his father claimed they never scored a hit with either bombs or depth charges. 

That series Decisive Battles even though it's British looks pretty interesting, I also watched the program on Springfield rifles. 

5 hours ago, FC said:

Those guys on the corvettes sure had it tough!

I worked with two former WW2 Merchant Marines. Both of them mentioned feeling naked at sea. At best the Navy would mount a machine gun and put a Sailor or Marine on board to operate it. One guy claimed he was an officer said he commanded a freight hauler in the Pacific. He told us over a few to many beers of being scared sh!tless of Kamakazies hauling a boatload of toilet paper. He claimed he was placed way up front of the Navy fleet they rendezvoused with. Said he felt like cannon fodder and he feared Jap planes more than submarines. He claimed it would have only taken a spark or a tracer to light up his freight. Told us he complained about being placed way up front with a combustible load and the Navy's response was to stay up front and have daily fire drills.  

16 hours ago, FC said:

Thanks for that story.

I used to hear some pretty good war stories after work especially when co workers invited us to the nearby VFW bar. The former WW 2 Marines though never liked talking much about combat but they sure could put down a lot of beer and walk out in a straight line. The majority of European war stories I heard were about French and German women. One guy used to tell the same story over and over again after a few beers. It was about a woman he claimed had epileptic fits during sex but he never stopped sneaking her food and soap bars and bedding her. Another co worker returned from the war with a Japanese wife. I met her about 78 or 79 and she still had trouble communicating in English. I was told she lost her parents and siblings from American bombers. I watched as one WW2 Vet tear up at the VFW. Told us about being ordered to attack and disable German anti aircraft guns. He claimed the guns were operated by young boys that refused to surrender and fought like hell. A black Korean Army Vet claimed the Chinks would run away from them. He claimed the Chinese and Koreans were afraid they were cannibals. He never told me but did tell another that they left behind dismembered bodies in bon fires and the Chinese soldiers quit following. He got out of hand one night and looked to start a fight with a former Army Major and Korean war Vet. He was bitter about the negro troops having only white officers. Claiming many white officers talked down to them calling them boys like they were on a plantation. 

One of the Merchant Marines Vets claimed he put in over 30 years and forced out because of his age. He was such a screw up he was fired twice but the union and Congessional inquiries saved his butt. The union complained McCain's office that a Veteran of WW2, Korea and Nam being treated harshly. In the letter I had to help him write to McCain. We mentioned his years of service at sea but never mentioned he was a merchant seaman hoping McCain's connection to the Navy might help and it did. Saved his job but he was given a menial assignment not allowed to drive USPS vehicle and agreed to retire after he got in enough time to qualify fed retiree bennies. Poor guy just couldn't handle work on land and honestly a man in his late 50's was really slow compared to the young workers he started with. My guess he was hired to meet an affirmative action age criteria as he wasn't really bright. Twice he forgot to put his Jeep in park while dismounting to make a delivery. The second mishap his run away Jeep ran into and damaged a lawyer's house. He was set up by mgmt to deliberately get caught in the final safety violation. He was scheduled in two hours before opening and everything still locked up. Fearing he'd be in trouble for punching in late, he climbed the fence. Fortunately somebody burned a copy of the schedule before mgmt changed it showing he was scheduled in at a later time. 

His war stories weren't exactly exciting. Didn't really work once at sea and about all he had to do was spend hours on deck with binoculars looking for planes and periscope towers. He did speak with pride about getting a duty assingment of manning the ship's only machine gun but he never did get to do more than to test fire it in his traning to operate it. Claimed he only saw real combat once in WW2. Said he watched a Jap plane strafe a nearby destroyer with machine gun fire then run off. He told a Nam story numerous times about hauling Treasury Dept employees and crates full of cash. He said the Sailors were ordered not to speak to them, avoid eye contact or even nod their head as a hello unless they spoke first. Don't recall the details exactly but he claimed the Treasury guys f'd with them knowing they were ordered to ignore them.

Oops!!! Caught myself keyboarded rambling again, sorry. I was hoping to get on here and brag and show pictures about going to a counter  protest today. There was going to be a protest about illegal's children being separated from parents and DACA BS. The counter protest being that it is Flag Day and Trumps birthday. Us good guys gathered at the location with flags and Happy Birthday Mr President signs. The protestors never showed up and about 30 or so good guys did. I didn't last long temp was 109. I brought my leashed dog and the noise and heat had hm scared stiff. On the freeway over pass intersection we got plenty of horn honks with thumbs up and a few fork Trumps. Arriving late I caught a fat assed lib wearing a concert t shirt get out of his junk car and take cell photos of our license plates. We were parked in an abandoned Kmart parking lot. I assume the favorable response we got from the rush hour traffic was from people with real jobs working for a living. The few F Trumps were likely from those on the govt teat.