Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Antique screen doors restored

FC

Two antique screen doors I bought and restored. 2 x 8 feet each. They were rotted at the bottoms, so I used Rot Doctor to repair that. I turned two new spindles, and replaced about 7 of the balls, plus one arch. They have the original bronze screen. I also used a version of the Stanley no. 66 plane to reproduce some of the trim on the backside. Four expensive reproduction self-closing hinges, and two porcelain knobs. I think I'll make a cabinet to hold them, something like a pie safe.

Img_3652.jpg

Img_3653.jpg

Rot Doctor is a thick epoxy. I made a form out of 1/4 plywood on three sides a day after using a thin solution that penetrates the existing wood. The epoxy sets up, and is beige in color. You sand it into shape. I had to add to the corners a couple of times. The spindles took a bit to make. I gouged or broke two or three of them before getting two to come out right. I read that bronze screen is what they used originally. I'm guessing these came off a pair of tall business doors. I'm surprised they survived at all.