Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Metal 3D Gun Technology

FC

I was watching a youtoobe a couple weeks ago (now that I have high speed internet) where a guy was demonstrating how to make a barrel and button rifle it with nothing but a drill press and a shop press.  It was interesting and just took time.  He made the button from a piece of steel, etc.  And I have the Foxfire book set, or 1-5 anyway, and in there is how to make a black powder rifle.  It starts out with "find you some red dirt..." for the iron ore.

On 7/25/2018 at 4:32 AM, FC said:

I’d love to see how Sam Colt made revolvers with old machinery.

Not Colt but I recall several years ago watching a cartoon type video on my old WebTV of some factory operations during the Industrial Age. Powered by wheels in rivers or steam power there were systems of belts, pullies, gears and huge flywheels to maintain a steady speed. Some factories maintained hogs that were slaughtered for their fat to lubricate gears. Didn't take long to see the engineers or what ever they may have been named at the time. To realize they were genius in designing the factories. There were no worries back then though about water or air pollution, worker's comp or liability from industrial accidents. About the only govt intrusion at the time were from local towns or cities to build high smokestacks. 

EDIT: I think but might be wrong I saw the video on How Stuff Works.