Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Help Please. Spanish M93 Broken Firing Pin!

8uck5nort

Well I am out of ideas short of buying a whole new bolt assembly to get at a replacement firing pin. I am currenlty building out a 35 Remington on a M93 mauser action a 1923 Oviedo. Just got done removing the charging hump and was polishing the bolt shroud. I decide to re-assembling the bolt to marvel at my work and "snap" I busted the firing pin off. :o It did not take much, but no matter it is still broken. Do you all know of a source for a replacement or even better yet a reproduction new one? I found whole new bolts, but that is going to set me back 3 times what a used or repro firing pin would cost.

They are not at Numrich or any other mil-surp resource like sarco, CIA, etc.. They are all out of stock. Does anyone have a CAD file of the pin? Maybe send it to a CNC shop? If there is a file made up already for CAD a CNC shop should be able to make several in short order out of any grade steel you could want. I looked at a Swede pins which are plentiful, but I don't believe they are compatible. A Chilean would work, but that source is dried up along with Spanish firing pins. Not desperate, but with a bunch of the M93 "gunsmith specials" really the last cheap source of actions on the market a source of good firing pins will be essential.

OK. After sleeping on it and doing a lot more digging on machinist and other "gunsmith" forums I think I came up with a repair idea. I think it is worth a try. Since there is no available source of repro or used firing pins then repairing the old one may be essential. This will serve two purposes. One it may flat out resolve my issue with part that is now unserviceable. Two, it may return the part for use as a testing piece keeping my expensive replacement reserved for actual use. It may also serve as a model to send out to a machine shop to create a repro part using modern steels. Either way I really have nothing to loose.

OK here is the actual idea. The firing pin body is in excellent shape. The pin broke off right at the point it finishes tapering to the final diameter required to fit through the firing pin hole. So I could file the break lightly or machine (preferably) flat. Find center. Drill a hole and insert an appropriate steel shank that is the same diameter as the old firing pin. Grind and shape to appropriate length and tip shape. Then silver solder pin in place. Now that I look at it replacing the broken firing pin from a point further back on the pin body may be even better and frankly easier since there is more meat to work with. Plus the replacement pin will be easier to machine since it is a basic shape. The concept is kinda like replacing a broken or bent decapping pin in a set of reloading dies except you are using a high strength solder to affix permanently in place. If it should ever break again heat, remove and replace.

What do you think? Am I way off on this or onto something? It really seems like my only option. Even with a new repro pin with all the variations you may  be required to do minor fitting to get them to work. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Well. I am in for the pound of flesh now. I used my 25% Labor Day only coupon at Harbor Freight and bought a 7x10 mini lathe with cutters and a M#2 taper jacobs chuck to do this right. I had a friend go with me who works at Cat who has machine shop lathe experience to help and steer me in the right direction on a basic set up. This pretty much blew my remaining budget for the rest of year, but now I have the means to do a lot more on future projects. Yes it would have been cheaper to buy a 100 dollar replacement bolt and keep going. In fact I could have bought several of them, but I decided to take the long view on this.

Now I need to clean up the lathe and start learning on some scrap metal and get the basics down.

Wish me luck.

Numrich lists the firing pin for the '93 Turk as being in stock. Unfortunately, that's the one that they don't have a photo of.

ASSUMING that the firing pin is the same, and ASSUMING that they actually have it in stock (since ALL the other mid 1890 firing pins are out of stock, you might try there.

If the Swede Firing Pin will work, there are at least 3 on eBay, and one on GunBroker.

• 4 weeks later...

Fixed! Why did I wait sooo long to get a lathe?

OK, so I managed to learn a little machining and was able to fix my broken firing pin. I am also including some progress pics on my project. 

Here is my proof of concept after learning to select a cutter, and face, and reduce OD, and drill on center...

KIMG1284.JPG

KIMG1285.JPG