Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Lenovo MB sound and USB connection not standard

karlunity

Stay away from Lenovo surplus Mb unless you have an ole USB port system and a blue tooth dongle The Sound and USB connectors on the MB are NOT standard. They are, as i recall 10 pin. I am ok as I  still have a can of old parts but if ya dont!!!!

On 9/17/2018 at 6:26 AM, karlunity said:

Interesting mind set in the Computer world

I like the challenge of restoring an old computer. The Hippy  does not..She buys new and tosses any  computers ( or cars) that dont work

karl

Time to start complaining about your old guns. Tell Mrs Hippie these old bolt actions are worn out and you need to upgrade to brand new AR and AK's. 

On 9/21/2018 at 5:33 PM, karlunity said:

M1A?  Now that I do need.   Good idea pal.

karl

I'll let Mrs Hippie know what to get'cha for your next birthday. BS aside I've been trying to trade my way into a M1A but haven't had much luck.

I wish I hadn't believed the BS spread about the Norinco version years ago. Turned out none of it was true. About 89 a co worker bought one and was using it in tournaments last time I saw him. He did tell me he intended to get a Springfield match grade barrel so he could compete better against match grade M1A's. 

Yeah, it was  H.W.  Note that Democrat President Uncle Bill's gun ban is history, but Republican President George H.W. Bush's gun ban is still with us. On the plus side, though, it did significantly protect the U.S. firearms industry.  I think that had they not banned most imports, we wouldn't have much left for gun manufacturing.  It would have all gone to China, just like the rest of our industries.  So, there's that.  I mean, look at the quality of a Norinco 1911A, or SKS, and the prices they were wholesaling for.  A U.S. manufacturer couldn't make the stock or the barrel or the trigger group or even the bayonet for what the Chinese were selling the whole rifle for.  And that Norinco 1911A I have is a well built piece.

I have to agree with Doc,the ban saved US firearms and ammo manufactures. I did handle a Chinese, not sure if it was Norinco. Bolt action clone of the pre-64 Winchester and the dealer showed me a photo of the clone S&W revolver. The bolt action rifle best I recall was high polish blue, walnut stock and the action and trigger was as good or better than anything I've ever handled. 1,000 rds of brass, boxer primed 223 was selling from local dealer for $99.00. Steel case 223 and 763X39 was less than $70 per thousand retail. It would have killed US firearms industry as the Chinese did to the US hand tool market. I haven't sold tools since to 70's but at the time there were numerous manufactures in the USA. I'm told there are now only two making the wrenches, sockets etc. 

Couple years ago I was gifted a Norinco 1911. I put it on the trading block and got a Ruger Redhawk for it. I generated numerous offers for it after listing it on Backpage. Long story, back in the 80's when I had an FFL I bought a few of the 1911's. Can't recall the price but it was dirt cheap going in with two others and buying in a dozen lot. I gave one to my cousin lawyer for legal work. He kept it , never fired it and then gave it back to me along with a Makarov and some unknown mags. He got the Mak, another unknown gun he gave his partner and some art work he collected in lieu of cash fees. If I recall right my cousin also got a Dan Wesson 357 in the deal he now keeps in his night stand. 

One of the tool manufacturers is in Springdale, about 15 miles north of me.  They made (make?) the Craftsmans and the lines sold at Lowe's, etc.  They had 2 plants, one 3 miles from my house, but they closed that one down and moved the remaining production to Springdale.  The company used to be called Armstrong Tool, but got sold a couple times.  Can't recall the current name.

Yeah, not much left here for tools anymore.  I buy tools from a company out of Houston when I need something oddball but quality, like some metric tap.  Rex Tools.  Last time I bought some stuff, I asked the sales guy if any of that stuff (tap handles, taps, dies, etc.) was available from a US manufacturer.  He thought for a bit and said no. 

Our firearms industry is the only one that survived, and that's because they inadvertently forbid imports, trying to screw us. Now there's hundreds of manufacturers in everything from a cottage/garage based business to major manufacturing with hundreds of employees.

I remember Armstrong Tools. Thinking back to the 70's I saw Armstrong sockets appear after the biggies, Snap-On, Mac, Bonney, Proto, S-K etc prices went sky high after Carter's boycott of South African chrome. Pretty sure it was Armstrong that mfd quality sockets without chrome and were treated with black oxide. From what I've heard their are two major USA mfg's of hand tools. One makes Craftsman, Husky and another brand I don't recall. The other makes the high end Mac, Matco, Bonney and Snap-On. 

On 9/24/2018 at 9:34 AM, karlunity said:

Good points sirs.

I agree after reflection that the US firms may well have gone down....But I gotta say I still wish that I had gotten that M1A

karl

The only bad on the Chinese M-14's were the bolts. At the time though there was a glut of M-14 parts and were being sold dirt cheap. A bolt probably cost a few bucks. The only high priced M-14 part I recall were the E-2 stock and butt plate. 

Found this on teh w3bz:

In 1994 Armstrong was acquired by the Danaher Group, a conglomerate with other tool company holdings including Allen, K-D, Matco, and Moore Drop Forging. Armstrong operates now as the Industrial Hand Tools division of Danaher.

I think it was Danaher when they shut down the plant just 3 miles from me.  I know they were making at least some Craftsman, as I saw the wrenches at the auction.

51 minutes ago, karlunity said:

Truth.  As I read they still sell them in Canada and I have heard of no problems

karl

The Norinco 1911's still make their way south probably not legally. When I traded my Norinco 1911 away. Guy I traded with needed an extra day to verify by serial number it wasn't Canadian. I believe it was verified by the company that was going to do the Rowe Conversion.  Thought he wanted to kiss me after it checked out clean. From what he claimed the Chinese were originally using a high grade, hard steel to build the frames and slides. Net rumors so it's a possible hoax, claimed the early Norinco 1911's steel were forged from railroad track scrap. From what I've been told the current Norinco 45's are on the same quality level as Rock Island and are no longer using forged parts. 

When the Chinese M-14 was introduced the internet was still in it's infancy. Rec.guns in the early days was about the only gun newsgroup that wasn't just click bait. IMHO there an organized effort to flame all Chinese guns especially the 1911's and M-14 as junk. Rec.guns was powerful. It lead to a boycott of Colt and the eventual resignation of their CEO after he said on 60 Minutes he favored legislation licensing of all handgun owners. The gun rags were silent not wanting to rock the boat and lose the advertising revenue. Another good example, was an obvious effort to flame Lee reloading tools. Could hardly scroll through without seeing all kinds of Lee horror stories. It failed miserably especially after Mr Lee refused to license their full crimp die patents. 

6 hours ago, Dr.Hess said:

Found this on teh w3bz:

In 1994 Armstrong was acquired by the Danaher Group, a conglomerate with other tool company holdings including Allen, K-D, Matco, and Moore Drop Forging. Armstrong operates now as the Industrial Hand Tools division of Danaher.

I think it was Danaher when they shut down the plant just 3 miles from me.  I know they were making at least some Craftsman, as I saw the wrenches at the auction.

Doc back in the 70's when I was selling tools along with parts. I could hardly keep up with all the changes after tool factories starting closing. Prices went sky high as tool makers were buying chrome from jobbers that bought it from Africa then exported it from friendly countries. Pres Carter I guess felt he owed Taiwan, looking the other way after he stabbed them in the back. Taiwan especially and Japan dumped the chrome in the USA with a generous mark up. Mechanics and even do it yourselfers take pride in their tool's appearance. Black oxide tools were very slow sellers even though the quality was top notch. It wasn't unusual to see a mechanic using chrome polish on their tools when work was slow. 

Mac cut tool truck salesman's commission to compete. As many salesman quit it left a gaping hole Matco used to get their foot in the door by warrantying Mac tools. Matco claimed their tools came from the same factory as Mac and Snap On. The tool truck guys despised me as I was selling Bonney, the original mfg's of Mac and Snap On for 50% less. I almost got into a fist fight with a Snap On guy. I was selling a small set of wrenches for 9.95. Snap On was getting about 50 bucks. We were selling the Bonney wrenches for about two bits over cost to get mechanics to start buying from us. Many did as we also warehoused S-K Wayne, Proto, K-D, Truecraft and genuine Allen brand Allen wrenches. Many stuck with the biggies due to their liberal credit and warranties. I heard, don't know if it were true. Mac and Snap On were in litigation over the "pay as you earn" logo they were both using. The smart mechanics needing credit went to Sears and opened a revolving charge account. 

I recall those stories of old railway steel too and the line about the m-14 bolt...I believed what I read than!  

As to tools I still have some my father or grandfather left and they work ..hate to think what replacing them would cost.   Every time I can  I hit the old junk stores and look for tools, I can clean off a bit of surface rust and smile.

karl 

During my short stint as a forklift mechanic several of my co workers hit flea markets and yard sales for old tools Craftsman especially to turn them as defective and get a new replacement. The tool truck vendors would give one a few passes before wiseing up and saying no more. 

I'm with you on old tools. I still have tools from my maternal grandfather. He had tools marked FoMoCo (Ford motor co) dating back to before and after WW1. Grandpa's brother owned a Ford dealership he worked for before and after the war. I gave the Ford tools most of which were starter wrenches to a co worker that was a die hard antique tool collector.

My paternal grandfather was a cabinet maker and carpenter but his specialty was building or repairing fancy stair ways in Chicago mansions. His tools some of which belonged to my great grandfather went to my brother. I did get a very old Yankee Screwdiver and a couple of hammers out of it.