Military Firearm Restoration Corner

M93 Spanish Mauser to 35 Remington

8uck5nort

It was converted to 7.62 Nato and had a hinged trigger guard so that made my mind up to do a classic deer cartridge. The rifle was in pretty rough shape when I bought it at the gun show. The saftey still does not move from the fire position. Got it cheap tho. I have removed the old barrel, and removed the charging hump. I got the barrel from Rhineland Arms and has the Savage style lock collar so we will see what I can do with that. I am probably going to add open sights as well as scope. I am also going to do a wisner style swing saftey and convert to cock on open with a Dayton Traister speed lock kit. I have not decided if I am going to do a custom carved stock yet or buy one form Richards Microfit. 

Anyway here is some progress pics. Oh and I ma going to make my own Go No-Go guages to seat the barrel. I downloaded the specs from SAAMI site so I should be able to figure it out with some youtube, patience and trig...

KIMG1293.JPG

KIMG1229.JPG

KIMG1231.JPG

KIMG1287.JPG

I like the Spanish small rings.  The ones that were converted to 7.62 are kinda interesting.  Near as I can tell, what happened is that they were originally 7mm, and all the barrels were shot out.  So, the Spanish took the barrels off, bored them to 7.62, cut rifling, turned a little bit off the shoulder and chambered them for 7.62 NATO.  There is lots of "ZOMG YOU'LL BE KILLED FER SURE IF YOU SHOOT THAT THING" out there on the internet, but bottom line is that they were not made for the 7.62 that they may have downloaded slightly for the CETME, but full 7.62 NATO, which has a maximum pressure that is just about the same as the original 7x57 that the receiver was designed for.  Also, Paul Mauser got the Spanish to buy 7x57 instead of the 7.65 Mauser because he told them the 7x57 was a superior round. 

I have one in 7mm that I rebarreled and one I rebarreled in 7.62x39.  I think my newest one is 20 years older than yours.