Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Grouse

ken98k

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2019 at 7:44 AM, FC said:

How's the grouse and prairie hen populations doing?

Populations were actually down a little in the area I have hunted the last few years.

On 3/8/2019 at 9:07 AM, Quick Karl said:

They have Grouse in Alaska? I never knew that!
I used to try to shoot Ruffed Grouse upstate New York when I was a kid but it was like trying to shoot a Star Wars Tie Fighter only in-between a forest of Pine Trees it was impossible to hit one. Better than any video game ever conceived!
Always wanted to roast one and see how they taste.

There are several varieties of grouse and Ptarmigan in Alaska.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/8/2019 at 11:07 AM, Quick Karl said:

They have Grouse in Alaska? I never knew that!

I used to try to shoot Ruffed Grouse upstate New York when I was a kid but it was like trying to shoot a Star Wars Tie Fighter only in-between a forest of Pine Trees it was impossible to hit one. Better than any video game ever conceived!

Always wanted to roast one and see how they taste.

I have never seen but have heard that there are Grouse in northern Arizona near the Winslow area on or near a Rez. I'm told Grouse are often confused with Quail. Like most hunting on or near a Rez. The red tape involved getting a Rez hunting permit or the stiff fines if caught accidentally wondering on to Rez land with a gun without a hunting permit. Scares away hunters except Indians that get away with hunting year round, out of season and nobody enforcing limits. A former neighbor that worked for Az G&F told me. They would not go into a Rez unless called by Indian police. I imagine the taste like most game birds are described and compared on a scale somewhere between fried chicken or roasted dark turkey meat.

I hate appearing to be dumb but what the heck are Ptarmigan and how is it pronounced?? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Grouse are on my bucket list. Seen lots of them in Northern New Mexico while BP deer hunting. My Colorado nephew says they see lots of them but never hunt for’um. I set all day in 100 degrees and fire ants with rattlesnakes to shoot at little doves. Can’t understand why walking up old logging roads at 50 degrees shooting at a bird the size of a bantam chicken wouldn’t be way more enjoyable. Gotta be better eating too !