Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Tommy Gun Helpful Information

FC

Tony, the more I read the more I want one. 

Thinking logically a T isn't a hunting gun and as far as a self defense weapon. I see it as a poor choice for urban combat. On another hand just the sight of a T Gun with drum mag attached would immediately scare the piss out of a bad guy. The psyc effect of bad guy facing a T Gun compared to something like a sub compact 380 or a snubby revolver. Would more than likely send a high on meth Tweaker off with his tail between his legs where he might be inclined to challenge a pea shooter.

Something I saw on the History Channel. German soldiers had a fear of the Russian sub machine gun with the drum mag. In the battle of Berlin, Russians attacked with a large number armed with the drum mag sub machinegun. Where scaring the inexperienced German soldiers made up of old,  young and misfit men into a hasty retreat. According to the narration the Germans associated the drum mag with American gangster movies. 

Guess a Thompson could be classified more as a range toy than a tool but I really want one, bad!! In the late 90's in rec.guns there was a poll on the most attractive gun of all time. The Tommygun was the favorite beating out others like the Lugar and Colt single action revolver. Best I recall somebody posted a photo of a beautiful engraved Thompson belonging to a celebrity whose name I don't recall.

Don't know if it's vanity, envy, Thompson's beauty or reminiscing off my full auto experience that attracts me but I just have to get one. Just like in the Gun Stories Show on the Thompson. The commentator says it's impossible to empty a Thompson drum mag and not turn around with a big smile on your face. Me being a cheapskate keeps me from shelling out the bucks. I'm hoping as long as I keep putting out trade offers. I'll make a connection eventually. 

I wish I could shoot one that’s full auto! Reminds me of Tom Hanks going full auto in that gangster movie, “Road to Perdition”. There was the silent part too where he was gunning Dow his bosses’ goons at night on the street. All you saw were muzzle flashes.