Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Mk X Adjustable Trigger Sear

Sailormilan2

I have recently gotten a couple of the Zastava made(Old Interarms) Mini Mausers, and have been gradually working on them. I was pleasantly surprised to find that they use standard Mauser Mk X style adjustable triggers.  Unfortunately one wouldn't hold the cocking piece no matter what I did.  I finally determined that someone had beveled the top of the sear, where it makes contact with the sear face on the cocking piece(green circle in photo). So, I removed the sear, by drifting out the sear hinge pin.  After taking my trusty Dremel tool, and using the side of it as a grinder, I took off enough to give a sharp edge.  Now it can catch and hold the cocking piece.

Unfortunately, the bottom of the sear that rides on the top of the trigger was very rough with grinding marks that went crosswise to the direction of trigger movement(red circle in photo). I had tried adjusting the trigger, but it was very gritty and rough. With a light rifle like the Mini Mausers that is really not good. So, putting some #400 sandpaper on a very flat surface, I moved the sear back and forth, in a front to rear motion.  Simulating the movement of the trigger.  I then used some #600 wet/dry in the same fashion to polish it.

When I reinstalled the sear, I had a very smooth trigger pull right at 3#.  Just where I wanted it. I ended up doing two more that needed similar work, though they weren't as bad. All 3 are now in the 3-3 1/2# range, with very smooth pulls.

20181116_060930(1).jpg