Military Firearm Restoration Corner

FN HiPower

Sailormilan2

Last year I got an Isreali reimport FN HiPower.  A parkerized Mk I frame, and a MK III slide with the standard epoxy finish.  Mk III slides have sights that use a dovetail cut, and have inlets for paint to high light the side picture.  I've replaced the barrel, installed a "No Bite" hammer with new sear, and ambidextrous safety, removed the mag safety, and added simple wood grips from Herretts.  I stripped the frame and slide and refinished them.  The epoxy paint used on the slide was difficult to remove.  I soaked it in epoxy paint stripper, then bead blasted it.  I ended up have to restrip it after the first park attempt, as well as polishing the sides with fine sand paper.  But, I am very happy with how it turned out.  I am considering using it for my EDC gun.

BHP1.jpeg

BHPPreRefinish_resized.jpg

I had an Argie HiPower for a short time. It really fit my hand well, was accurate but was a Jam-O-Matic. A new aftermarket mag, a used but stronger mag spring for the original Argie mag, extractor and extractor spring helped considerably. First thing I did with it was getting rid of the silly mag disconnect. I didn't have it a year before trading it away in a multi gun swap. Like yours mine was also painted. The frame was steel or at least made with an iron alloy being magnetic. Didn't take me long to regret trading it away. 

Gunbroker has few FEGs, which are copies of the HiPower.  Price is much cheaper than those for HiPowers.  Most, if not all, HP parts will fit.  Though the ones I saw needed some finish refinishing.  I even saw a Mauser 80, another HP copy.  I would seriously consider getting another one, but here in CA we can't have the FEGs or the Mauser.

If you really want a nice HP, look at the new Tisas Stainless Steel models.  They are really nice, and about 1/2 the price for the HPs.  HP prices will be going up since FN has decided to discontinue making them.  If I could get the Tisas BR9 here in CA, I would get one in a heartbeat and use it as my EDC gun.