Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Remington laminated stock refinish

Sailormilan2

Ages ago, I purchased a stripped Remington Model 5 laminated stock with the intentions of putting it on my CZ99. I prefer the external dimensions of the Remington stock to those of the Zastava made stocks, though Remington's inletting is not as good.
I eventually got around to mounting it on my Z5 17HMR. However, in the long interval, some Remington stock parts dried up. I could no longer find a butt plate to fit the curved cut on Remington's tock.
So, I trimmed just enough off the butt to make it straight, and installed a Pachmayr recoil pad. But, in the process of grinding it down to fit, I didn't pay enough attention and went through Remington's combination stain and finish.
After doing some research on the internet, and the horrors of trying to stain a laminated stock, I decided to finally try it.  
I stripped the stock with CitriStripper, which took about 4 applications. I used a scraper, and most of the finish peeled right off. After it dried, I sanded the stock both to properly blend in the recoil pad, and to get rid of the top layer of wood that had had Remington's finish on it. Final grit was #400.
I tried several MinWax oil based stains, but didn't like any of them. I ended up going with a mix of MinWax Gunstock 231(too light and red by itself) and MinWax Dark Walnut 2716. First batch was about 50/50 mix, and was way too dark. So, I thinned it with more Gunstock to about a 3(Gunstock) to 1(Dark Walnut) mix. That was better, but I think it's still a bit dark. Next time, and there will be a next time, I will use a 7(Gunstock) to 1(Dark Walnut) mix.
Stain was applied twice, following instructions. Then, after drying for a day, I lightly steel wooled it, which removed some of the color. I didn't want to do too much, as some of the laminate layers didn't take much, if any, of the stain.
3 coats of MinWax Satin Poly were then airbrushed on, with a light final steel wooling when dry.
It's not perfect, but I think it is better than it was. I've included a pic of a Remington 799 stock as a before and after comparison.

20190105_084210_resized-1.jpg

RemingtonStockRefinished.jpg

• 2 years later...

I wouldn't want to deal with a laminate refinishing . All those glue lines and weird grain. I'm not finisher, but I would think the colour would have to sit on top. I have used aniline  dye on a stock after stripping. but it was a factory walnut . They had done something similar originally.  It was pretty blond. In your case that would have not worked.

• 7 months later...