Military Firearm Restoration Corner

my project guns...

724wd

alright, here are some pics of most of my project guns.

foreground to back, yugo m24/47 (to become 6mm rem), BNZ43 (to become 35 Whelen), turk M38 (to become 7x57) and a 1950 Win Mod 70 in .270 having stock refinished and reblued.

user posted image

user posted image

this is my Chilean Steyr 1912 that is all numbers matching, beautiful gun, should have left it alone. this is the one the "gunsmith" twisted. Fajen stock with added darker walnut grip cap and forend tip (old butcher block). that was a fun project - adding the tip and cap. I also modified this stock to have a slight palm swell as seen in the first photo. still up in the air on this one. i may throw on a 6.5x55 barrel and see if it shoots. if it doesnt, i'd like to do a tweede - (starting with a commercial large ring barrel - not a military, obviously) on another turk.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Not pictured is the 1943 German Mod 98 (with swastikas and all intact) that is on it's way back from Skaggs gunsmithing after having a 30/06 barrel installed. when it gets back, i'll add it - in it's bell & carlson camo'd stock. (hopefully here today!)

well, these are my gun projects as of now. here are a few shots of one of my carvings that's approching completion.

user posted image

user posted image

forgive the splice in the middle...camera wouldn't shoot wide enough...

user posted image

Ooo, I really like the carving too, I think it will finish up beautifully! Very impressive, particularly when viewed straight on from the side...excellent composition!

The gun projects are interesting as well...lots of variety and a good way to keep busy for a while!

Good luck and enjoy!

I'm with Emy on the carving.If I could carve like that,I think I'd give up gun work.What kind of wood do you use and are you taking leasons,been doing it for long,or just winging it? Surely talent that good didn't come natural on your first attempt.Jerry

well, thanks for the kind words! this particular piece of wood is tiger wood. it was about $70 for a 4inch x4inch x3feet chunk. it's kinda like gunstock wood, a nice chunk is worth some bucks... i also have currently going 2 small mouth bass from tiger maple and an elk bust from walnut. I want to cast the elk horns in bronze, but i have to figure out how, first. biggrin.gif the cougar is my 3 carving that is nearing completion. the first was a trout in cedar that i gave to my father for fathers daya few years ago. the other was another trout from regular old 2x4 for a friend who was getting married. 2x4 is not the best to work with. it never lost the whiskers, but the recipient thought it was great. carving is not that difficult. it is much like stockwork, you just remove whatever is not a stock (or cougar, or elk or fish) . a good bandsaw helps, too!

• 4 weeks later...

Nice work! Watch that band saw beau. Once while cutting out a goose head blank from hemlock (salvaged from old rafters no less!) the piece suddenly split and before I knew it my thumb tip was all but severed. The doc did a great job sewing it back on but it still thumps in the cold - even after eighteen years. You're right about the carving though. If you "have it" you eventually learn to somehow recognize "the right piece" of wood. Keep it up, you've got the touch.