Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Civil War Hospital Conditions

FC

Yeah, the end of the Medieval period of medicine.  Looks like poor sanitary conditions caused most of the deaths, at least at the hospitals.  WWI saw the advent of Dakin's Solution, still used today, and made from normal saline and bleach.  Saved countless lives from wound infections.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2019 at 10:58 AM, Dr.Hess said:

Yeah, the end of the Medieval period of medicine.  Looks like poor sanitary conditions caused most of the deaths, at least at the hospitals.  WWI saw the advent of Dakin's Solution, still used today, and made from normal saline and bleach.  Saved countless lives from wound infections.

My Grandfather a WW1 Medic talked about an anseptic white cream they used that was nick named mayonnaise. If I remember right he said he smeared on burned skin. Grandpa would not allow mayonnaise in his house just seeing it made him sick. I can recall his stomach turning and him leaving the room once when a Miracle Whip commercial came on TV.

I can recall Grandpa talking about burn victims being put into bathing tubs with bleach and water at a convent. He said nuns boiled the water clean and as soon as it cooled down they poured in bleach. Grandpa was a big believer in the healing power of Listerine. I assume it was related to his war experience or something he learned from his father. 

Grandpa wasn't a trained Medic, he was the son of a MD. He knew about bacteria that many people didn't believe existed if it couldn't be seen. He got sent to a hospital with wounded after helping wounded that had dusty dirty bandages from their ride in horse drawn wagons. He removed the dirty bandages and washed the wounds best he could with soap and water. As a kid I over heard him telling a neighbor after washing the burns and wounds. Not having clean bandages he used French newspapers to cover the wounds. He probably saved a lot of soldiers from staff infections. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2019 at 7:27 PM, FC said:

Bleach water on burns- gee, I don’t know! I hope it was below 10%.

I assume so. An auto parts customer of mine in the early 70''s was burned in a sand buggy rollover.Told me he spent time in tubs of water and chlorine at the county hospital burn unit. I guess it was a small amount of chlorine because he said the cool water felt good. He claimed Dr's peeled some skin of his torso and transplanted it on to his thigh. Felt bad for him as his business went belly up while he recovered and he wound up an island jockey pumping gas at a Scottsdale Cheveron. 

I ran a burn unit for a month.  Yeah, you just use a tad of bleach.  Even modern Dakin's Solution is a fraction of what Dr. Dakin used.  We used to do skin grafts like that all the time.  You take it from wherever you can get it.  Some times you don't have a lot of area to take it from.

On 2/25/2019 at 8:16 AM, Dr.Hess said:

I ran a burn unit for a month.  Yeah, you just use a tad of bleach.  Even modern Dakin's Solution is a fraction of what Dr. Dakin used.  We used to do skin grafts like that all the time.  You take it from wherever you can get it.  Some times you don't have a lot of area to take it from.

A 60's high school class mate was burned badly in a mobile home fire. From what I was told charity picked up the tab for his skin grafts and plastic surgery. With a bit of discoloration from skin grafts they did a good job putting his face back together removing heavy scars. He lost his sister that died several days later from infection. His father I never did see was unable to return to work as he lost some fingers and toes. Fire was so bad his mother won the big prize on TV's Queen For A Day. They cashed out on a car she won to move into a block home.