Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Why guns blow up

FC

Yeah, that was a good article.  Interesting on the heat treating.  So many times out here on teh Intr4W3bz, y0, people say some gun had poor heat treating and thus was soft and susceptible to (pick a problem, bolt set back, failure, etc.) but the article implies that the receiver being too hard, not too soft is what causes catastrophic failures.

• 1 month later...

I just got to that good article. I've been shooting my 03 dated 09 and serial number about 250,000. Hasn't blown up yet after hundreds of rounds. The so-called glass bolts of the early Springfields were to blame for blow ups. I put an 03A3 bolt in when I'm going to shoot it. I did know, he's now deceased that put an 8X57 in an 03. Nothing blew, he said it kicked like a horse and he had to beat the bolt open with a hammer.

Ive mentioned this here before. In the early 70's the public range had on display a blown mil-surp rifle. I don't recall for certain but I think it was a Gew 88. Below was a large sign saying "use the correct ammo, if in doubt ASK". The shooter I'm told left in an ambulance bleeding profusely from his mouth. Pieces of steel pierced his lip and embedded in his gums. I'm told all the range had was a simple 1st Aid kit and the shooter screamed loudly from pain when they applied pressure with gauze. The barrel was bent and stock in two pieces. Not from shooting but in a temper tantrum. The shooter's brother angrily beat the blown rifle against the cement shooting bench. I'm told and can't speak with first hand knowledge. It was WW2 8MM surplus shot in the early .318 bore. I was also told the brothers were shooting surplus 8's with the practice wood bullets prior and assumed WW2 8X57 was correct. I saw the rifle displayed but the details I got second hand and might be exaggerated. 

Most of the blow ups I've seen at gun shows. Were 38 revolvers with 357 hand loads packed in the 38 brass. I also recall seeing a few old Winchester levers with blow barrels. Best I recall the vendors claimed it was in that condition when they got and didn't know how it happened. Some what believable or the sellers didn't want to fess up to doing something stupid. When I toured the Rock Island museum they had a great collection of decorated captured weapons from the Indian wars. The guide mentioned they had several that were blown but didn't have room to display. I assume the Indians used the wrong ammo or shot with plugged bores to ignorance of the white man's weapons. 

• 7 months later...