Military Firearm Restoration Corner

future of stealth

FC

If I was rich, I'd take about a hundred large and build a stealth Lotus Esprit.  I think an early model would be almost perfect to start with.  It would just take some custom written 3D cad software that incorporates the stealth radio wave formula, discovered/developed by a Russian mathmatician, BTW,  and a 2D RADAR scanner apparatus.  Then custom make the body panels with some aluminum foil in them in just the right shapes to reflect the incoming RADAR waves to someplace not in the direction they came from.  Maybe a little experimentation with some radio trapping objects in the paint or inside the fiberglass.  Anyway, a hundred large in hardware to develop it, and maybe a year or two of work, plus some fiberglass body panel expert to make stuff. 

I went to a track day with a guy that had a Pantera he had fully restored.  It was beautiful.  Not particularly fast around the race track, but sure looked nice doing it.  Until a heater hose blew and boiling hot water went all over his leg.  Oh well, he was still having fun.  And he spent some money on that thing.  Panteras are kinda strange.  They never really got expensive.  I guess like most Lotus.

I knew a guy who has passed now that had a friend with one.  It was a real, genuine 427 side oiler Cobra, with a spare engine.  His friend died and left him the car in his will.  At the time, it was a half million dollar car.  Well over a million today.  The friend's wife told him that the car was his, it's what her husband wanted.  He told her he couldn't take it and instead sold it for her at a fair price and the money went to put the friend's kids through college.

I got a ride back in the late 60's, 289 Cobra. It was a disappointing ride as he babied it. I literally begged him to let me drive it but no such luck. Friend of mine tried hustling a dealer into a test drive of a Cobra. He arrived in a cab decorated with phony gold jewelry, silk shirt , gator shoes etc trying to look rich. Didn't work, best the dealer would do is set up an appointment. He left after the dealer requested his ID. Apparently the car dealer ran his name through the credit bureau. My friend did get a used Shelby GT 350 Mustang about a year or so later then cracked it up a few months after. 

One of my old auto parts customers was a body man and painter for Carol Shelby. He left Shelby then opened a garage in Scottsdale restoring mostly 55-57 Thunderbirds. The guy did some beautiful paint jobs but wound up in jail for using some blank purchase orders he stole from the Shelby race team at a Ford dealer parts dept. I got my ass chewed as he stung the warehouse I worked at for about 500.