Military Firearm Restoration Corner

What Tools?

TLynn

bja105

(6/15/05 15:32)

Reply What Tools?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Air Conditioning season is roaring, so I finally have some money for tools. Please help me prioritize.

I have a K.Kale Turk that I want to be a Twede.

I have a VZ-24 That I want to be a 35 Whelen.

I have a Savage model 110 that I want to rebarrel.

Here's what I have. Bench vise, drill press, a few files, 3 different hand held sanders, sanding blocks, B-square screwdriver set. Also lots of plumbing and sheet metal tools, if that counts.

I think I have most of the woodworking things covered, at least for finishing. I think I'll try to make a barrel vise. I guess I need an action wrench, scope jig. What else? Anything that overlaps the Savage and Mausers?

sonic1

(6/15/05 17:19)

Reply Re: What Tools?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

make the barrel vice and action wrench for sure..learn how to get the barrels off first..then locate a buddy with a lathe..

every gun you is slightly different ..the kale being small thread with a lip on the receiver.vz24 good action to work with..savage 110 also very flexible to work with..

the twede is highly thought of around here ..i think its a good one to start with..

Edited by: sonic1 at: 6/15/05 17:20

roscoedoh

(6/15/05 17:32)

Since you have a little money coming in, purchase a Wheeler action wrench and a B-Square barrel vise. I use a vice similar to the B-Square its just the cat's meow. You can buy or make a wooden block vice but I have never been sold on the gripping power of wood and I wouldn't recommend that. Mauser barrels are hard enough to remove as is with a steel vice.

As for D/T jigs, most guys have good luck with the Wheeler jig. Later on if you want to do bolt work, I believe that both Brownell's and MidwayUSA sell bolt forging and bolt welding kits. Something else that will make your life easier is a good set of dial calipers and a good depth mic. You might want to think about those. The last thing you'll want is a Brownell's catalog. Aside from these, you'll pick up what you need as you go a long. And if you need anything very particular...call Brownell's - they'll probably have it!

sphingta

(6/15/05 19:07)

For the mausers the most important thing is to have or know someone with a lathe. If you don't things get expensive at least in my opinion. The savage I bought a barrel nut wrench, used the wheeler barrel vise which i don't like because it doesn't work very well, at least for me with removing mauser barrels and i also have the round reciever wrench. My 110 barrel seemed to be on pretty tight. I turned it into a 257 roberts. It is the most accurate gun I own other than a VZ-24 i put one of the heavy parker hale barrels on. They are about tied. I just used a prethreaded adams and bennet barrel.

mod70

(6/15/05 19:32)

ezSupporter

Re: What Tools?

There is a guy on ebay that sells excellent barrel vises w/4 bushings for $79. He will make additional bushings for $2.50 each. It is a quality tool. Search under 'Mauser' to find them. The Wheeler action wrench is a good tool as well.

Doble Troble

(6/15/05 20:45)

You NEED a lathe (everyone does).

I am Bubba (but learning)

bja105

(6/15/05 21:32)

OK,

Barrel nut wrench, barrel vise, action wrench are on their way. I have a caliper, what can I use a depth micrometer for?

I'm trying to convince my machinist brother in law that he needs a lathe at home, no luck so far.

Pedestal

(6/16/05 6:07)

If you are going to do rebarreling, you have to have a depth mike to read dimensions on the reciever/barrel. Not only for setting them up properly, but setting headspace using gauges. I would say if you rebarrel you MUST have a lathe (or lathe access). You can buy a pre thread and just screw it on-but you chances of it fitting correctly are slim.... Rather than just waste the money, I'd send the rebarrel job out to a 'smith, otherwise.

Concentrate on the stuff you -can- do, like the stock work.

sphingta

(6/16/05 6:11)

when putting a new barrel on you need to measure the shank length to make sure the inner face is the one that's seating(on a mauser). I also used one when i reamed the chamber for a 6.5x55 barrel off of the gun. Easy to due but a lot of words to write. Wouldn't do it again i don't think though unless i had a lathe because duing it in your lap is not fun.

Clarkma

(6/16/05 7:25)

With a lathe, you can make collets for the barrel vice for different barrel shank diameters.

pic of barrel vice mounted to bench

fmsniper

(6/17/05 5:06)

For the Savage here is a good link, have done quite a few Savage rifles, they are very simple

www.savageshooters.com/Ar...lSwap.html

montea6b

(6/17/05 8:31)

Don't forget checkering tools!

Concerning the comments on a depth mic, if you already have calipers wouldn't they work just as well? I'm refering to the end opposite the dial and caliper portion... all the ones I've seen have a small center portion that protrudes as the caliper is opened that can be used for depth measurements.

z1r

(6/17/05 9:30)

Calipers will not give the level of accuracy needed. A depth mic will. I've heard comments from a lot of folks that are newish to this hobby proclaim just how hard it is to get a good reading even with a depth mic. That goes away with practice. It's way harder with a set of calipers.

mod70

(6/17/05 18:55)

ezSupporter

What z1r said. You need a base on the caliper that will span the receiver face to get reliable measurements accurate to the thousandths. Some caliper mfg's make bases to fit the end of their tool to convert it to a depth mic but I have not used one.

z1r

(6/17/05 19:10)

And that base costs nearly as much as a good used starrett depth mic on EBay.

Nice explanation Mod70!

bja105

(6/26/05 17:50)

Reply Depth Mic

ok, I have an action wrench, savage barrel nut wrench, and barrel vise in my hands. Now I need a depth mic. I see they have different length rods, and different bases. What size base and rods are most useful?

z1r

(6/26/05 19:39)

Reply Re: Depth Mic

I like the three inch base. You only need a 1" rod but most come in sets so be sure it includes the 1".