Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Are clay targets really toxic to hogs?

Reverend Recoil

Are clay targets really toxic to hogs? Do any of you have sick little piggys to nurse back to health because of your shotgun sport?

Is clay-target-toxic-syndrome fatal, curable, or are pigs forced to live out a miserable life with chronic symptoms? Is a hog with clay-target-toxic-syndrome suitable for barbequing?

Clay targets must be made of more than just vitrified clay. Maybe there is some kind of pitch that binds the clay. Is that what makes hogs sick?

Have you ever seen a hog munching on a carton of White Flyers? I imagine the after effects must be awful. Are clay targets toxic to hedge hogs, wart hogs and ground hogs? They can't be too damaging to bush hogs. Has Green Peace heard about this problem?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I've got to know. I can't sleep at night.

Reverend Recoil, age: 6 1/2 dog years.

Guest Unregistered guest

Some are made with asphalt for a binder. I go shooting in a toasty little place known as Barstow, CA. They can, and do, melt or sag when Mr Sun climbs into the July sky. And cooks us and the clays.

As far as the hogs, I couldn't say.

Guest Guest_MorgansBoss_*

It is the pitch or soot that is typically used in production of normal clay targets that makes them toxic. However, there are "non-toxic, biodegradable" birds available for a couple bucks more. The base material for these targets is plain old wheat flour!

These new targets disintegrate after exposure to normal weather for about a year - I ran a test on them about five years ago. Kept one beside the driveway until one day it began to crack in a million directions and eventually just went away. White-flyer sells them.

Now Rev... you working on a new blues song or what? cool.gif

God, I wish they were!

But I don't see any sick pigs here, in fact they root all around where I shoot an occasional clay target game.

If I thought they were toxic to pigs, I would go out and buy several more cases of them. The best reason yet for practice with the scattergun.

fritz