Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Argie receivers

ikesdad

Several years back I bought a couple of Argentine 1935 LR receivers from Sarco. Evidently, they had a bunch of them then. My question is...what is the history of these receivers ? They are German proofed BUGN and are blued and brand new - never had a barrel screwed into them. The only fly is there are 2 small spot welds at the rear of the feed rails to prevent a bolt from being inserted.

Any ideas ?

Naw, they're buried due to our recent move. The spot welds are just enough to keep a bolt from being inserted, obviously on purpose. Other than that, they are blued, standard 98 LRs with the Argentine crest on the front ring and the Modelo 1935 on the left rail. Not a wear spot or worn corner anywhere. 

On 3/23/2019 at 8:37 PM, ikesdad said:

Naw, they're buried due to our recent move. The spot welds are just enough to keep a bolt from being inserted, obviously on purpose. Other than that, they are blued, standard 98 LRs with the Argentine crest on the front ring and the Modelo 1935 on the left rail. Not a wear spot or worn corner anywhere. 

My guess and it's only a guess. During the Pres Carter era when foreign imports of mil-surp firearms was prohibited. The receivers were demilled in a way that allowed them to be imported as parts. If anybody recalls the welded Garrands. I'm told the receivers were cut in order to be imported back to the USA. I recall seeing a few at 70's gun shows. Best I recall and could be wrong. The sellers claimed the cut M-1's came from Denmark, imported as parts not firearms. Keep in mind I'm speculating about the Argies and could be wrong. 

• 2 months later...
On 3/26/2019 at 4:59 PM, ikesdad said:

Yeah, wish I had bought more than 2, but then I'm not a collector only an accumulator.

That's what I said to my X after her asking how many do you need. Told her I was a collector no different than somebody that collects coins, stamps , cars or even baseball hats. She responded with Bull Sh!t you're a hoarder. Have to admit she was right. Unfortunately with my 20/20 hind sight I could be rich today.