Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Great tip

ken98k

I was chambering a 300 win barrel this weekend and due to the crappy gauges from Wheeler Engineering I was not able to get a good measurement as to how deep to go with the reamer. 

I reamed deep enough so that the belt section of the reamer just started to enter the chamber, then removed the barrel from the lathe in order to complete the last few thousands by hand.

I mounted the barrel to the receiver  and all went well until the bolt was very close to closing on the go-gauge when I started get a chattering feeling from the reamer. Sure enough, upon inspecting the chamber I could see ridges at the throat, shoulder, and belt areas.

I had heard of using wax paper before so, I wrapped the reamer with 3-4 wraps of wax paper and tried again, sure enough, the reamer cut though the rough areas and I was able to get the bolt to close on the go-gauge but not the no-go.

I don't know why this works but it does!

• 6 months later...

That is a cool tip. I have copied that and put it into "the vault" (a 4TB drive dedicated to anything gunsmithing but primarily Mauser 98 info that I can search on by any phrase).

I am going to try this the next time I am crowning a barrel. My 11 degree target crown cutter loves to chatter on larger diameter barrels and changing speeds doesn't seem to help.

Dale