Military Firearm Restoration Corner

FN 30/06 Mauser

AzRednek

I was gifted this recently, actually it was given to me by my blind buddy about 15 years ago. I mistakenly left it at his house, he misplaced and just recently turned it up. It's an FN action that someone must have started as a project many years ago. Some what puzzling as whom ever gave it to my friend told him it is a commercial action. Strange if it's commercial it has straight bolt but it's in the white doesn't appear to have ever been blued. The mag floor plate is highly polished. The charger hump has been removed, looks a bit rough but it feels smooth. According to an elderly member of my gun club, he claimed FN in the white actions were sold many years ago after South American orders were canceled. It's late 1952 date would indicate an end of run. It has the notch on the front ring the member told me FN did to ease the stripping of 30/06 length from stripper clips. I ran an 06 cartridge into the chamber from the mag and it slid right in. At my next club meeting the member is bringing me the missing trigger parts, the bolt release and ejector for only 10 bucks.

It pays to associate with other gun guys even though the majority of the members probably pay more in income taxes than I gross for the year. There's a retired Dentist for instance that has plenty of Colt single actions. He has plenty of just a single revolver that are probably more valuable than my entire collection. He also has several NFA full autos. Think I mentioned it before here. There's an 80+ old retired farm animal Veterinarian that shows up a few times a year. He once showed up with a Colt factory, shoulder stocked in beautiful Colt made carry case, cap and ball revolver in near mint condition. I sat next to him as he turned down a $100,000 offer for it. He claimed he only shot it five times about 40 years ago. He also claimed he got it for sweat equity from a cattle and horse rancher. He showed up a couple years ago with a NFA Thompson in the rare 38 Super chambering, probably worth a small fortune. 

Anyhow as I ramble on again!! What should I do with the action?? Can't sell a gift with a clear conscience but I need another project like I need another hole in my head. I'm to crippled up to do any serious hunting anymore. I already have several hunting rifles and recently gave my son my 7MM Mag Browning BAR. I still have an unfinished 257 Roberts on a 98/22 CZ action project that's been sitting for over ten years. I have Mauser sporter stocks but the mag wells were cut for a Santa Barbra hinged plate mag assy. I lost interest in the Roberts project after re-shaping the wood for a mil-surp mag and misaligned it by not using alignment screws. I'd like to build an 06 for my grandson but he's a southpaw and a lefty $350 308 Savage would be more practical. 

Somebody posted her a link to some reasonable priced Santa Barbra mag assy's awhile back. Anybody know the link or source?? If i can find one I may go ahead and build the FN action. I have way to many 30/06's so if I do build it, it's a toss up in my mind to go with 270 or 35 Whelen. Several years ago gave my other son my Remington 270 model 760 pump. I do miss having a 270 for some strange reason. 338/06 would be practical as I already have a 35 Whelen but not for something I'll likely be passing along to a non reloader.

IMG_0537.JPG

IMG_0538.JPG

IMG_0539.JPG

I think that is Belgian Army issue.

Here's a blurb from someone selling one on armslist:

We have a used FN Mauser Model 1950 Navy Belgian for sale. This rifle comes chambered in .30-06SPRG with a 23" barrel. This comes as shown in pictures with serial numbers matching to the bolt and receiver, and Belived to be the Navy version, as to the Army. There is no visible import mark. The top of the receiver is marked “crown / B (King Baudouin) / ABL (Belgian Army) / 1952”. The left side of the receiver is marked “FAB. NAT. D’ARMES de GUERRE / HERSTAL – BELGIQUE”. This Belgian Mauser is an FN Model 1950 made for the Belgian Navy. It is a variation of the Belgian Model 1924 and was used as an export rifle as well as a Belgian Military rifle. The crest is marked with a “crown / B” with a date of 1952 for King Baudouin who took over after King Leopold died in 1951. The previous version of this rifle are marked with a “crown / L” for the previous king. It is a very interesting rifle as it is chambered for the .30-06 Springfield cartridge and uses M1903 clips. The U.S. was providing the Belgian Army with ammunition at the time, but the Belgians wanted the Mauser rather than our M1903. The front receiver bridge is notched in order to feed the .30-'06 from stripper clips. It was adopted in 1950 as the official rifle of th0e Belgian Army and was one of the last Mauser rifles to be adopted by any major nation. This one has seen some use but the receiver markings are still clear and the bore still has lots of life left. This is in Very Good Used Condition. Check out the pictures and feel free to call or email with any questions.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/9211368/colorado-springs-colorado-rifles-for-sale--surplus-fn-mauser-mn-model-1950-navy-belgian-23-30-06-1952-bolt-action-rifle

One correction to the Armslist ad. It was NOT adopted as their official rifle in the 50's. From what I've read it was kept in production because of foreign import orders. The 50's Mausers were used by Belgium for arsenal reserve and training as the then new FN-49 production was just getting started. By the late 40's most countries were changing over to semi's. I also don't believe the seller is correct in saying the Belgiums didn't want our 03 Springfield but I'm sure they got our 06 ammo dirt cheap or free. I believe US 03 production ended after the war. Good hype to make the sale. Two years ago I would have laughed at $500 but today I'm sure he will sell it.