Military Firearm Restoration Corner

How to make yourself feel like a real Doofus!!

AzRednek

About three years ago made a trade via Backpage.com. I traded two Jap rifles and one Jap bayonet. I got an original condition 1917 Eddystone and what I thought was a FN mfg Colombian 30/06 Mauser. After digging out the Mauser tonight to compare it to the FN action. I discovered it is not Colombian, it is 30/06 but it's a Brazilian 30/06 built on the Czech 98/22 action. I don't believe the guy I swapped with was taking advantage, he likely got bad net info and didn't know better. According to my net research (so it has to be true) . The Czech built Brazilian 98/22's or more correctly 08/34 .30 were originally chambered 7X57. The .30 was added after Brazil re-barreled and adopted the 06 Post WW2. The barrel is according to the net Brazilian mfd.  Although I'm some what disappointed it's not a FN I don't feel I left money on the table in the trade. Just the Eddystone's value far exceeds the value of both Jap rifles.

The Jap rifles were the 7.7 was in excellent complete shape. An early model with chrome bore, bent and straightened mono pod, aircraft wings, cleaning rod and dust cover. It did however have a ground crest I touched up with black oxide. It was my best mil-surp shooters only second to my 03 Springfield or possibly my K98. I was honest telling the trader the 6.5 was built from gun show parts. I originally got the 6.5 as a stripped receiver in a stock I think for 10 bucks. I was originally planning on assembling it enough for a wall hanger, give it to a Jap coworker that had helped me with translations for numerous Ebay sales I made to Japan. My coworker's wife nixed the gift, wouldn't permit items of violence in home. Found out several months later his wife was active with the anti's. She made him send a Jap bayonet I gave him to a relative in Japan. It was complete and shootable but I felt and told him it might have a headspace problem as the bolt was purchased separately. I was somewhat dishonest by not telling him the 7.7's sling was Chinese. I let him assume it was Jap as their writing is very similar looking.

I was had buying the sling from a 80's Shotgun News ad. After a nearby Chinese owned grocery store owner told me he could read some Jap writing. I bought him the Jap sling and also another from a Norinco SKS to translate to find out the Jap sling was Chinese. He showed me the similarities of the Chinese symbols that roughly translated to "type of". IMG_0543.thumb.JPG.caeaa46c20c2df0fe7ce20052ed1e997.JPG

The trader didn't ask so I kept my mouth shut. I also tossed in a reproduction dust cover for the 6.5. 

I haven't shot the Brazilian 06 yet. The rifling is strong and the bore is just slightly dark. I fried nearly 550 rds of 06 in my M-1 last year and I'm down to only two clips. Hopefully I'll find a deal on 06 ammo soon or get off my arse and get to the loading bench soon. Somewhere I have about 30rds of 1918 dated 06 buried and don't want the temptation to shoot it. I also have a couple rds of original 30/03's buried with it. 

IMG_0542.JPG