Military Firearm Restoration Corner

May have to build an AR

karlunity

I have many calibers in AR's. 2-458 SOCOM, 3-6.5 Grendel, 2-6.8 SPC II, 2-300 blackout, 5-5.56mm, 2-7.62X39, and working on 2-450 Bushmaster and thinking of 2-50 Beowulf.  I also have 2 Armalite AR-10T Custom 6.5CM and 308.

They are fun to build and shoot.

Rob

M1 carbines are worth roughly a thousand bucks today.  A good AR can be had in the $600 or less range.  With some waiting for deals, you can get a good M4 style upper for $240 or less (Stoner brand at Midway), and build a lower for around $150.

Just recalling; back than   the Hippy got mad at me, "You have two guns how many do you need?" ...in justice we did have little money back in the late 80s as we just moved west. But you know if we had gotten a case, we would have gotten them for about 180  than and sold them now for $1000 if Doctor Hess is right and I think he is and we would have done far better than we did later with google ....Buy guns young man  or young woman..invest in the future!!!

I got the "how many do you need" from my X that was a cop. After she discovered it was legal to hunt with a handgun. She didn't believe in rifles. Every time money was tight she wanted me to sell my collection. A G for a M1-Carbine not unusual, maybe more if it is an oddball, low production run and 100% original. There is no way I'd trade a genuine US M-1 Carbine for an AR. If your Carbine is a Universal, Plainfield, National/Federal Ordinance or Iver Johnson brands, might be worth considering the offer. Careful of some of the net bargains on AR's. Many are built with plastic lowers. I try not to be judgmental on dish washer safe guns, guess I'm showing my age. Haven't seen one yet but can you just imagine a plastic 1911, its sinful!! A plastic lower AR might be ok from Ruger or S&W as chances are good they will stand behind it. Just my feeling but I imagine many of the small AR manufacturers won't be around for long. 

While I was typing I heard a President Kamalla will come for our guns with an executive action if Congess doesn't act in her first 100 days!!

6 hours ago, karlunity said:

.Buy guns young man  or young woman..invest in the future!!!

I tried when I was to young, about 62 or 63. After ripping an ad out of a school library's magazine. I mail ordered a rifle for 20 and change. I don't have the foggiest recollection of what it was other than military and the deal included ammo. It was intercepted by my mother and returned to the Post Office before I got home from school. I got a refund several weeks later for less than I sent, likely postage fees deducted. Mom raised hell at the Post Office and called the mail order business and chewed them out. 

On 4/21/2019 at 7:55 PM, spec4 e4 said:

I have many calibers in AR's. 2-458 SOCOM, 3-6.5 Grendel, 2-6.8 SPC II, 2-300 blackout, 5-5.56mm, 2-7.62X39, and working on 2-450 Bushmaster and thinking of 2-50 Beowulf.  I also have 2 Armalite AR-10T Custom 6.5CM and 308.

They are fun to build and shoot.

Rob

Rob does your Armalite AR-10's have a forward assist?? When I shopped for an AR-10 Armalite didn't have one. I went with S&W even though it was a couple hundred more. 

24 minutes ago, AzRednek said:

Rob does your Armalite AR-10's have a forward assist?? When I shopped for an AR-10 Armalite didn't have one. I went with S&W even though it was a couple hundred more. 

Yes it does.  I'll take pictures when I'm home in a few days.

Rob

It is an Inland by GM made in 1944. 

I got it back in the late 80s

later  a couple of bags of brass  a buck for 100  the cops were switching over to the m16 and did not want carbine brass

I even got the bolt disassembly tool and the piston nut tool for about $10 for both at a local shop

That and a set of Lee reloading tools and I was good to go.

It holds in the black of a NRA rifle target at 250 meters :) 

I had 15 round GI mags but gave them to a pal when I moved,  lucly I kept some

karl

On 4/23/2019 at 1:10 PM, Dr.Hess said:

I always thought I wanted a forward assist.  My Colt SP1doesn't have one, and I thought I was missing out.  Then when I built a rifle, I finally got a forward assist and found it was useless.

I had a big problem with My SP-1 with near impossible to clear jams when I first got it. My blind bud was with me, a Nam Vet. Really rubbed it in, I'll never forget him saying. "No forward assist, gee its swell it's a Matel". The problem turned out to be my handloads that previously worked fine in the Mini-14 I traded in for the AR. I was still in the learning curve loading my own ammo. Using to much crimp I was swelling up the 223's shoulder enough to jam it up tight. Guess the Mini's chamber had enough forgiveness or the return spring pressure rammed it home. After discovering the problem communicating with RCBS. They sent me a small base sizing die and another neck sizing ball no charge. Advising me to use no crimp and steps to take if the neck tightness was insufficient. Never had a jam I can recall since. Later using a Hornady (then still Pacific) tungsten carbide neck expander even later also using Lee's FCD. After my buds got into legal, full auto M-16's we'd set up and reloaded like an assembly line before progressive presses were around. I now use a Lee turret press to load 223.

Guess I had a hard on for the forward assist stepping up to the 308 AR-10. So called expert's net jargon mentioned the need for it using foreign 7.62 and the steel cased ammo especially. I only looked close up at Armalite's AR-10 at Wally's. Being Walmart the two I saw might have been low end models. My S&W AR-10 has functioned fine using the low pressure Spanish surplus ammo mfg for the CETME fluted chamber, FN, US GI and half a box of 180gr Winchester soft point. Never needing to use the forward assist. Guess it's the confident feeling jamming the assist in on the first round off the top of the mag. 

11 hours ago, karlunity said:

I had 15 round GI mags but gave them to a pal when I moved,  lucly I kept some

karl

Better not give any more away especially if they are US GI. Guess you could buy a dozen or more!! Unfortunately gave my only parkerized US GI carbine mag when I traded away my Iver Johnson M-1 Carbine for a Marlin 45/70. 

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/m1-carbine-15-rd-magazine-usgi.aspx

I do miss the mil sup days!

5 for Turks and 99 buck SKSs   them were the days boys 

8mm turk ammo for $5 for 70 rounds and 7.62/39  for $2 for a box of 20.

Glad I went ape and had a range.

karl

18 hours ago, Dr.Hess said:

I'm not an expert on those, but I would SWAG the value at $1200 or better. It had better be a DAMN nice AR to swap straight across.  And given that you can build a pretty nice AR for about $400, I don't think so.

I have to agree.

Rob

I've got 2 AR-15 rifles, 2 stripped lowers,  and one PA10(Palmetto .308). All have been done using lowers and parts from Palmetto. If one is careful, one can build one for under $400.

But due to CA's insane laws, they often don't look like normal ARs.

My next acquisition is an upper in .458 SoCom. Not sure what I'm doing to use it for, but I'm going to get on.

On 4/25/2019 at 9:54 AM, karlunity said:

I do miss the mil sup days!

karl

Hard to believe but myself and shooting bud's pissed and moaned about 70's mil-surp prices. Showing my age we still had memories of the 60's mail order days. Attended my first gun show in 71 with $100 to buy a nice 30/06 hunting rifle. Didn't get one but I'll never forget walking away from a US Johnson for 150. A few weeks later I got a Weaver scoped 308 Savage 99 for $90. 

I hear ya..I almost laughed in a guy's face when he wanted $800 for a Mauser..I like the mauser but this was a left over 5 for.  

And another guy who wanted 70 bucks for a bando of Turk 8mm

karl