Military Firearm Restoration Corner

doing well selling

FC

I'm doing better than expected selling my FIE BP pocket revolver, Dixie 1858 New Army, Japanese Tower flintlock pistol, brass, and K-31. I paid $100 for my K-31, and so far the bidding is $400!

Had to go look, $455.00 bucks now, way to go!! Antifa is going to get'cha and put you on a guilt trip for the sin of making s profit!! Don't be surprised when they show up in face masks and helmets on your front lawn with disgusting capitalist and feel the Bern signs. Leaving behind a family of illegals for you to feed, house and clothe with your evil profit. 

I certainly got a woulda-shoulda feeling after looking at your auction. Not that many years ago while making a purchase at J&G. Guy at the counter next to me was buying a K 31 that looked absolutely mint. If I remember right he paid the additional 10 or 20 bucks for the select pick but the total was still in the low 300 range. I came close but was already feeling a bit guilty after using plastic making an impulse purchase of a surplus Sig P-6. Went in there to buy Greek 06 Ammo. Turned out I was very disappointed with the Sig's performance and reliability. Few months later I traded the Sig plus $100 cash for a Franchi O/U 12 ga. 

The K-31 I saw at J&G had a light coating of grease but best I could tell the bluing was 100% and I didn't see a single ding in the wood. The J&G salesman tried to persuade the buyer into a bayonet by bringing out a pile of 3 or 4 with the rifle. If I remember correctly the 10 bucks off the bayonet for buying it with the rifle was in the $30 range. The buyer declined the bayonet and is likely kicking himself today. 

Ive been kicking around the idea of listing my 09 Argie carbine and a some what hard to find but not rare 91 Argie Peruvian variation. 

What’s that Karl, selling?  Right now it’s beating stocks! Gotta love capitalism! We’ve been selling like mad the last two days. Sold our bar to a guy, then he and his buddies started buying all kinds of stuff from us. Someday we’ll get a diesel 2500 Ram and a Grand Design Reflection camper, then hit the road! 

The available supply dried up.  All the old rifles from all the old armories got sold and replaced.  Plus I think the feds put rules in place on top of that.  No more incoming milsurps, so prices started climbing and people were priced out.  And, when you can spend <$300 at Walmart and come home with a 1MOA rifle in any caliber you want, tricking out a milsurp to a sporter kinda isn't worth the trouble, except for us extreme hobbyists.

On 5/14/2019 at 6:56 AM, Dr.Hess said:

The available supply dried up.  All the old rifles from all the old armories got sold and replaced.  Plus I think the feds put rules in place on top of that.  No more incoming milsurps, so prices started climbing and people were priced out.  And, when you can spend <$300 at Walmart and come home with a 1MOA rifle in any caliber you want, tricking out a milsurp to a sporter kinda isn't worth the trouble, except for us extreme hobbyists.

If another cache of mil-surp bolt actions show up in some 3rd world nation. I very seriously doubt they will be sold as bargains.

I was told in the early 90's. China is still sitting on thousands. Mostly captured WW2 Japs,  US rifles given to Chaing Kai-shek, Russian mfd Nagants given to Mao and plenty of Broomhandle Mausers. Guess it's politics and Clinton stopping imports of Chinese guns except sporting shotguns. Some of you may recall the Chinese dug-ups from the 80's. 

It was only 5-6 years ago I bought my granddaughter a lefty Savage Axis 7/08 with a mounted and bore sighted 3-9 scope. Total cost with tax and shipping through Davidson's Gallery of Guns was less than 300.

Az 

You have a point China has a LOT of WW ll weapons, true a lot went to brothers of the revolution, Nam comes to mind, but I suspect that they have a lot left.

Still I agree that they will release them bit by bit to keep the price up. China and Russia for that matter needed start up money in the 90's and the only thing they had that people would give green for was ammo and weapon.  Now?  I think they can wait for a better market.And there are those Eo's restricting import. If you look at marstar you will see that our friends in Canada can get stuff we cannot. ( I think EO banning arms are unconstitutional  but a wise buddy said that the Manufacturers want the bans and in politics money talks. The price of ammo has also gone way up.  I recall 7/62r at 440 for 45 bucks and $6 for a bando of 70 rounds of 8mm Turk..that is long gone and the price has gone up  perhaps 200% or more.

Relords or BP? Unless you have accress to an outdoor range...forget it. Still it was good boys and the collections are still for the most part.

Anyway 

Good luck and good sales  FC. Hope ya make a bundle.  : )

karl 

The good'ol days are gone. When I first joined this board. I really encouraged the young members to buy up as many as they could afford. At the time Czech 98/22s were hot selling for 69-79 bucks. I failed to listen in the early 70's when 03s were 70-90. About that same time I walked away from a $165 Garrand buying a Savage 99 instead for about 80-90. 

Know what ya mean..I passed on a Russian 1940 semi   rifle for 150 bucks and a Finn Mosin for $100 as I did not like the screw front sight...what the heck did I know and the French mas 49 and the India 308 enfield for 50 bucks....Gad.

Yep Az is right if this  comes  around again dont wait buy!!!!

karl