Military Firearm Restoration Corner

D-Day +75

Dr.Hess

On 6/8/2019 at 8:57 AM, FC said:

I agree!

What a horrible story! I hadn’t heard these accounts. To think the enemy were probably Polish conscripts for the most part!

A former co worker was tasked with retrieving prisoners beginning a day or two after the invasion began. He claimed many of the enlisted Axis POW's were not German. He said many were young immature kids. I don't recall him saying Polish but he did mention his first being a group of Czech teenagers manning artillery that surrendered without a fight. He claimed many of them clung to their Catholic rosarys wept and cried like children as they boarded his destroyer. Just my speculation, I imagine the German propaganda machine told fictitious horror stories about what the Allies did with prisoners. 

13 hours ago, karlunity said:

Not too surprised as I guess the German army was spread a bit thin by than

karl

One of my Postal patrons was Russian. He was captured by the Nazis and put to work in a factory at age 13. At 17 he was put in the military and put to work as a prison guard. I suspect it might have been a concentration camp. He claimed him and other Russian and Ukrainians requested and got transfers to combat units. He was captured by US at the Battle of the Bulge because as he said "we had no bullets". He claimed Americans won because they had more bullets. I believe he said he was rationed to ten bullets a day and had to keep his empties to show he used them. He said Americans never shoot once, they shoot 3 or 4 times and waste bullets. He eventually got Canadian citizenship as the Russians would have put him in prison even though his service in the German Army was involuntary. 

He appeared to have money. He came to Arizona to have an operation he couldn't get in Canada and bought a house he lived in for about a year. He had by far the most well trained Dobermans I ever saw. He commanded those dogs by snapping his fingers and pointing. Kind of funny showing his ignorance. Some young kids gave him a bad time and knocked his mailbox of the post. He caught the kids, gave them spankings and made them fix his mailbox. He spent about two weeks in jail for it. I didn't see it but according to neighbors cops had a hard time arresting him because of his three Dobermans. He refused to give up until arraignments could be made to board his dogs. He gave me an earful after he got out of jail about the American justice system. He simply could not belive he was arrested for punishing kids that deserved it. 

I introduced him to my station's janitor that lived nearby and was in the Battle of the Buldge. When I saw the janitor the next day I asked him if Alex was really in the B of B. Janitor told me yeah he was there not far from where I was "whata weirdo". 

Not only weird but he was so anti Semitic, hated all non whites it was hilarious listening to him. He claimed to have watched a film that proved Jews and blacks had smaller brains. He said it was scientifically proven that a Jew's brain was smaller except the portion of their brain that handled money. He claimed the various races evolved from different monkey species cross breeding then went into a tirade about orientals. What made what he said so funny was he was dead serious and said it with a straight face insisting there was scientific proof. Anything and everything that went wrong including his time in the county jail was all from Jewish conspiracies.  

When I cracked up laughing he'd respond "nooooo it's truuuu it's scientifically proven".