Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Ram 2500 Laramie

FC

In anticipation of going the RV life route in a few years I bought  2019 Ram 2500 Laramie diesel. We negotiated heavily on this thing, but it’s still a chunk of change! Lots of bells and whistles. I do wish it had adaptable cruise and lanekeeper. The woman didn’t want to offer zero percent for some reason. Anyway, 70k totalto pay off in 3 years. That’ll smart, but we can do it. Then we’ll get a Grand Design RV. Probably would be best to have a home base for winters, storage, and a wood shop. If TX my brother has an English riding place near St. Bubba’s, where we could have a shop. If we stayed here we’d need to rent the house and live up the hill. She doesn’t really want to rent it out. 

Anyway, diesels have a learning curve. The truck has some astounding technology.

2AEDBD99-0D2A-4BD4-89B0-2642522FB599.jpeg

E92874F7-DBA9-4A04-9CE1-454652E1A5A8.jpeg

5th wheel is easier to maneuver, and the bed has the hookup points for it. There's always a tradeoff. 5th wheels cost more, and you have the height issue for gas stations, tree branches, and low bridges. We're pretty set on the Grand Design brand though.

You can unlock and start the truck with a phone app. You can tell it what temperature you want for passenger and driver's side. I was like, "Why's my butt cool?" Fan and cooling to the stinkin' seats!  Alpine stereo, and Kardon-whatever sound system. I don't know this stuff. Backup camera even in the truck bed, moon roof, LED lights in the bed, sonar for parking, even on the corners of the truck. Nice stuff. Some kind of Sirius tracker if the truck gets stolen too. 4x4, and adjustable pedals too. 

The lady was trying her darndest to sell me one off the lot, but I told her GMC down the road had 3500s for about $66,000. She said, "Not with these features." I said, "Yeah, they do, I have it on my phone."  I wanted the adaptable cruise and lane-keeper, and a different color. So she looked up one at another dealer, then, of course, tries to sell me one she has in stock. I wasn't sold. Then she asks for an offer. I said, "Out the door for $69,000." Then my wife says, "Does that include the 250,000 mile powertrain warranty?" Okay! Then the sales lady says there's no zero percent because of the negotiated price. I said, "Why? It's an offer from Ram, not the dealer." She got that approved. Now I have a truck to haul the 16 foot enclosed trailer to TX to work on St. Bubba's. Beats 8 mpg I'm getting now. Just need to sell the older truck, and wife's convertible Volvo is sold. We're selling off stuff we don't need, and in a few years we'll try to see our country.

That should do it for you.  I knew a guy that was a truck driver.  He said that a 5th wheel trailer with a pickup towed like an 18 wheeler, that is, towed great, compared to a regular hitch.  I guess it's a matter of how big a trailer you want.  My wife's mother and her husband went "full time" for a couple years with a motor home.  It was the kind that was built on a large truck chassis, not the bus/pusher kind.  They towed a Saturn behind it to get around wherever they stayed.

Hey if youse guys talk about Rvs where the Hippy can read it, and she makes me get one, I am sending ya the bill.. the Girl has gipsy blood I think, she was talking about getting one.

karl

The grand designs are nice. We almost traded in our keystone for one last year, but decided to wait a few years. Here in MI I wouldn’t want a5ther because of the height. I hit enough crap with our 11’ high tt. Out west maybe different story. Nice truck though. Of coarse my wife’s family would kill us if we got a dodge. They all work for ford, but the discount is nice. 

Don

The guy in the office across the parking lot from work just bought a new big dodge truck.  He said they were practically giving them away.  He sells those large plastic boxes to Sam's.   The hundred dollar ones.

Ram is desperate to sell their old versions, the 2018 models. 72 months at zero percent!

I'm still working on St. Bubba's. I'm going to try to refinish the pine floors in October. Really need to encapsulate the crawl space before adding climate control to prevent floor cupping, but plumbing and electrical should be done first. No funds right now for that.