Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Restored antique doors

FC

The gray door was one of the very weathered exterior doors on St. Bubba's. It will be the bathroom door. New glass and appliques. 

The white door is a pre-1890 door, square nails, that I bought in bad condition in Augusta for $35. Required two panes of glass due to a thin wood divider. Heavy as a steel door. I remade all the window trim. Rot Doctor was needed for the panel. I couldn't find my antique twist ringer until (of course) I finished installation of the reproduction ringer. A guy was supposed to buy it, but nary a word. I may use it up the hill on the steel garage. Many, many hours of labor in these two doors. 

gray door 1.jpg

gray door 2.jpg

I see you eliminated the mail slot. I used to go round and round with Postal patrons that installed them. After they spent the time and money installing them had to tell them sorry we no longer deliver mail through door slots. The only exceptions were older houses that were grandfathered. 

Postal bureaucracy banned future use years ago. Going way back when the mailman carried a sack on his back all day. Bending over with the weight of the mail bag was causing a lot of back injuries and a few lost fingers courtesy of dogs. We had one guy get into trouble over rolling up magazines into a tube. When the dog attacked he shot his pepper spray into the tube right into Rover's mouth. I had to deal with a lot of slots in houses built late 30's early 40's for a few months.