Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Girl lived through Battle of Berlin

FC

• 1 month later...

Brit tank? I wish the picture was clearer. I was surprised to read the Poles liberated the town.

Pretty neat picture to have of the family. When did they immigrate? My mom's side of the family lived in the area around Maastricht. 

Yeah, Polish troops that had escaped and were in Britain were put in groups, armed and sent in after Normandy.  They liberated Breda.  Mom said there was a dead Pole on their street from the fighting.  After Germany fell and the Russians took over Poland, they had no place to go home to and many married Dutch girls and stayed in Breda. They have an annual celebration on the day the Poles liberated Breda. She has stories of the Germans that are as bad as what that German woman said of the Russians. She is still not real fond of Germans.

Mom's family immigrated to Canada in 1956.  Mom moved to the US in '59, when she married Dad.

The pic is a scan of a photocopy of a book printing of what looks like a newspaper clipping.  Best I can do with it.

I always thought The Battle of Breda for Dutch independence was in the 16-17th Century. Thanks to the net I'm now better informed. Guess it shows I barely passed high school World History. A grade school classmate and friend claimed his grandfather was with the Dutch underground, was captured and executed by the Germans. 

There could have been other "battles of Breda," but the 1945 one is the only one Mom ever mentioned.  When they ran the Spanish out, they broke the dykes, flooded the land, sailed warships up to the Spanish forts and blasted them with the ship's cannons. William of Orange did that, later becoming King William of England.