Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Rebarreled M14S

Sailormilan2

I just rebarreled Chinese made Polytech M14S rifle. Numrich has a bunch of chrome lined barrels made by Criterion for LRB, and they're selling them at about half their normal cost.

So, I got one in standard profile and 18 1/2" in length, and rebarreled a Polytech that had a medium weight barrel on it. I also cut ventilation slots in a wooden handguard.

It took a little work, since headspace adjustment involved lapping the bolt lugs. Chrome lined barrels need to be cut with a carbide reamer, which is too pricey for one barrel.

20190926_100516.jpg

Great job!! I really want to kick myself for not buying a Chinese M-14 when they were dirt cheap. Back in the 90’s while the net was still in it its infancy. All kinds of baloney was being posted about the Norinco cracking receivers, soft bolts warping, rough barrels horrible accuracy etc. Any poster trying to dispute the claims on rec.guns was immediately attacked personally with some going as far as claiming they were plants from the Chinese govt trying to destroy USA gun manufacturers. 

i had two friends that didn’t believe the hype, they bought Norinco 14’s and as far as I know they didn’t have any problems. I shot about 20rds through one my friend bought used. It was as accurate as any other military grade rifle. About the same time another friend bought a Springfield M-1A and had to send it back and have the barrel replaced from a step-up in the chamber. 

I had a Springfield M1A, and it would continually stick at least one empty case in the chamber. At least once or twice a magazine.  Springfield wouldn't fix it, since at the time I was using my reloads and South African surplus.  I did not have the same problem, using the same ammo, in my one Polytech and my home built Tanker Garand.  I sold the Springfield M1A, and got two more Polytechs.  Never looked back.

I have worked on, and upgraded each Polytech, though I am not sure that they needed some of the upgrades.  It was something for me to do and work on.