Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Video of Post-Pearl Harbor

FC

Kid I ran around with in grade school, his dad was on the Arizona. Story likely been embellished but he claimed he was on the deck when it blew. The force of the explosion knocked him overboard and he was able to swim to safety. His dad had some heavy scarring on one of his arms. I was told it was from burns from burning fuel in the water. One thing I'll always remember about his dad, he had a dewad Thompson with a drum mag. My friend moved away after his dad got a job promotion. 

A coworker in 79 was on the West Virginia when it was hit. Never heard any war stories from him. His wife died, suicide I was told as she was dying with Cancer. I'm no shrink but it was easy to tell he was severely depressed, looked half asleep and hardly spoke at all. I'll never forget him being a few days short of retirement, he was ordered to work overtime. He put in his eight hours, returned to station telling a young trainee supervisor. " The overtime is still in my Jeep," He walked over to time clock, yelled at the supervisor " what the hell is wrong with you I told you I don't work overtime" then punched out and left. He called in sick until he showed up on his last day. Mgmt sent him home early with pay on his last day. 

On 10/30/2019 at 7:12 AM, FC said:

Interesting stories. What kind of Thompson?

Don't know, about the Thompson I was only about 10 or 11 when I saw it. All I can recall is the drum mag I associated with the Tommyguns on the TV shows The Untouchables and Roaring 20's. There were several long guns, 2 or 3 pistols and what may have been a German Burp gun in the glass gun case but I don't have any idea what they were. I have a vague recollection of what looked like a large pistol with a wire buttstock.

An interesting thing about Pearl Harbor. When I first started at the Post Office and a few stints as temporary Christmas help in the mid to late 70's. Post Offices and all federal buildings work stopped at 9AM and a minute of silence was held for the victims of Pearl Harbor. After leaving and returning in 81 the moment of silence was stopped. On Pearl Harbor Day I asked my supervisor, a Korean War vet what time is the moment of silence. Told me we no longer do it and when I asked why "I don't know just doing what I'm told". 

Sorry, I'm wondering off subject again. Every time I was hired as temp Christmas help in the 70's. I had to be sworn in stating I'm not part of any org associated with the over throw or changing of the US govt etc but also had to pledge I was not affiliated with the Communist Party or any Communist organization. When I was sworn in in 1981 the part about the commies as was the ending of the oath so help me God was completely gone and the word violent was added to over throw or changing of the govt. My guess the ACLU or commies in federal court were behind the changes as it was only a year after Reagan's election. The very first time I was sworn in about 76 I had to place my left hand on a bible while holding up my right. Afterward just had to stand and hold up my right hand while taking the oath.