Military Firearm Restoration Corner

P-47 pilot’s interesting story

FC

I havent spoken to the guy yet other than a "hello Captain" as he obviously struggles to remember who I am. He's a 90+ year old WW2 fighter pilot that belongs to the VFW where my gun club holds its meetings. I've been told he tells some wild stories after a few to many beers and the VFW has to send him home in a cab. Not sure if he's still around haven't seen him for better than a year. He likes to boast about hunting for and machine gunning targets on the way back after completing their mission.

Better than ten years ago he brought in a few old 35 MM film reels showing interesting gun camera footage. He stopped the projector a few times saying "that's me that's me". He stopped the projector at one point saying "let me make it clear that it is not me but there are plenty all claiming it's their gun camera footage". It showed the strafing of a German staff car that eventually rolls over while the film's narrator says "is it Rommel you be the judge".