Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Russian guy builds steam locomotive

FC

Really cool. Back in the mid 70’s I shared a hospital room for a few days with a guy that was building a miniature steam locomotive. He was bummed out as he and a coworker both machinists at Allied Signal were caught working on their project on company time. They were not only stopped but management would no longer allow them to use the facility after work or on days off. He claimed his blueprints for the scaled down project were smuggled out of Red China. Can’t recall the numbers but I believe he said the blueprints cost him a couple hundred bucks. 

The hospital separated us after I got caught sneaking him some food. He put me on a guilt trip begging for food. He was way overweight, diabetic, chain smoked and was on a strict diet. The day before I ordered up a big breakfast with eggs, sausage, bacon, ,a waffle and who knows what else. All he got that morning was a single poached egg and black coffee. I got a royal ass chewing from a nurse with a security guard telling me if I did it again he’d call cops. 

Cool project.  When I was a kid, my aunt had a cabin up in the hills over L.A.  I would sometimes go stay there with her for a few days.  She took me to a guy's house/cabin that built his own functional steam locomotive, and several cars to pull with it.  He had a track and a full railroad type bridge over a gully.  All in miniature.  The locomotive was maybe 2 or 3 ft tall, and you sat on it to run it.  It looked like a classic locomotive, just scaled down.  Also, Griffith Park in L.A., close to Glendale, had a miniature railroad track system, like maybe 1' wide tracks, and a whole set of hobbyists that ran steam trains on them, pulling children in the cars. All of that had to be machined by hand, of course.