Military Firearm Restoration Corner

.22 magnum short barrel report

FC

I watched Pail Harrell explain that .22 mag requires a longer barrel to get enough velocity to mushroom hollow point ammunition. I have a NAA tiny revolver and decided to try the Speer short-barrel ammo. I’m kind of “meh” on the results. Went through the first layer of steel and dented the back.

629CBFF7-7AF9-441D-8271-31A61365D611.jpeg

1FC861C6-C4B4-4E82-8769-E1BD0B095119.jpeg

I subscribed to Shooting TImes.  They had a deal for a year's subscription for like eight bucks or something.  Anyway, current issue has an article on a new S&W 22 mag revolver, 8 shot and 6" bbl, I think.  They say that the velocity out the 6" bbl is just over what a 22LR will do in a 20-ish inch bbl.  But that's better than what a 22LR will do in a 6" bbl.  So, if you don't mind the extreme price premium for the mag ammo, it will do better for you in a short barrel than regular 22LR.

Back in late 80’s a teenager I loaned my Hi Standard 22 mag revolver on a Javalina hunt. He got a clean one shot kill with it. I helped his dad gut the pig and we discovered the bullet went clean through the Javy’s chest cavity. The exit wound was a perfect round hole, didn’t appear to have expanded.