Military Firearm Restoration Corner

.44-40 hot load Buffalo Bore

FC

I keep an Uberti Peacemaker clone in our room. All I have are cowboy loads. I thought about black powder, but saw that Buffalo Bore had some loads that were in the 850-900 FPS range. I got solid and hp cartridges. Boy, that was some kick! Things looked safe enough till my darned cartridge ejector came off. It’s happened before- screw doesn’t go deep enough. I lost the spring. 

F8A526EB-33DA-4D10-AF94-5433762716A9.jpeg

2C83D908-E205-45F2-8167-9F8DEAB5E7FC.jpeg

I’m not real trusting of Buffalo Bore ammo despite a shooting bud claims he has put plenty of their 9MM +P+ through his Taurus 92. I wonder what it might do in some of the compact plastic frame 9’s. 

Guy at my gun club claims he has a Charter Arms Bulldog with a cracked cylinder that somebody, likely him not wanting to fess up. Shot Buffalo Bore 44 Special. The box of BB 44 Special I had, had a warning in bold print not to use it in the Charter Arms Bulldog. I put 10 rds through a heavier frame Rossi model 720 revolver. Best I recall the first cylinder of five was difficult to extract the second came right out. The recoil and daytime muzzle flash was near 44 mag level. To painful in my mind for recreational shooting especially compared to an old box of mild Remington 246 gr lead I shot at that outing.

Only took one shot of BB 44 Mag in my S+W Model 29 to cause the extractor rod to come loose and bind the cylinder. The friend that gave me the ammo saying try these didn’t tell me there was a printed warning not to use it in S&W’s. I asked him why didn’t you tell me and he responded with “I wanted to see what it would do”. Never gone shooting with him since. 

I can recall some gun board net posts with bad reports of BB 38 Special in J-frame S&W’s. Several years ago I put about a half box of BB through a heavier K-frame S&W Model 15 without any problems at all with a bit more oomph but not unpleasant recoil. 

10 hours ago, FC said:

The only choices are load your own, anemic, or Buffalo Bore, unfortunately. 

Myself being a self proclaimed cheapskate, Buffalo Bore is way to expensive. All my BB ammo were from Backpage gun trades. I just can’t trust it. I’ve heard about BB 38’s for snubbys I’d like to try. Not much of a velocity increase but I’m told the muzzle flash is greatly reduced lessening the chance of temporary blindness. About 30 years ago I discharged a cap and ball revolver late at night and for a few seconds everything was totally black from a brilliant white flash I wasn’t expecting. 

I have to get my reloading tools and room back in order. As my X was moving out I started piling things in the room I wouldn’t let her take. I’m guilty of being a real procrastinator getting the room back in order. Being that 99% of my shooting is through paper. I don’t really need the extra velocity. With the exception of some Ruger Only 45 Colt. I load nearly all my hand loads on the mild side. Paper targets and tin cans don’t shoot back. The 38’s I loaded with home cast 148 full wad cutters and only apx 2.8 grs of Bullseye. Super accurate, sweet clusters up to 15 yards any further they tumble and print sideways. 

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, The Zen Master said:

I have a box of (20) Buffalo Bore 45-70's. There are 16 live rounds left.

Real snappy in my J-stamp Marlin 1895 CB. Always wondered what velocity they hit coming out of that 26-inch octagon barrel, but after shooting four rounds, I didn't care to find out...

I was disappointed with Hornady's flextip in my Marlin 45/70. Shoots good and not to bad on my shoulder but the ammo is sticky doesn't cycle smoothly through the action. Mine is the pre cross bolt safety model with the safety notch on the hammer. Unfortunately it is not the JM stamped barrel and has the micro-groove rifling. Net chatter says the micro-groove barrels won't shoot cast lead very well. I wasn't disappointed using Lee home cast 350 and 405 gr both round nose. I shot the slugs as cast, didn't size and rolled them in Lee's goo and Motor Mica. I loaded very mild using data intended for the old Remington Rolling Block. I did not use fillers with the powder charge using 2400 powder. 

Some day if and when my ship ever arrives or I hit the lottery. I'd love to sportarize a Siamese Mauser chambered in 45/70. 20 or more years ago on an Elk hunting party of six. The only successful hunter used a sported 45/70 Siamese. He got a clean head shot claiming it was a 200 yards. The rifle was beautiful built by a California smith whose name I don't recall. It was a spare no expense custom job. Fancy wood, high polish blue, express sights, jeweled bolt and I think it was a Bold brand trigger. Can't recall the barrel maker or numbers but do recall being shocked at the cost of just the barrel. He could afford it I guess being a Los Angeles lawyer!!

Saw one myself years ago at Avery’s. Don’t know what caliber it was. It was three older men and they took turns each shooting it twice then left. 

At the Sportsman Expo at Avery’s. Ruger brings most of their products to the range and one can shoot them for a small fee for the ammo. I’ve asked the reps every year why didn’t you bring a #1. Heard a variety of reasons, better said excuses but according to one rep. They are as good as sold, spoken for and out the door immediately to distributers. I’ve lusted for a 45 caliber Redhawk, not the super for years. Rep told me they had a run of them a few years ago and didn’t have any idea if or when they’d be available again. He told me I’d have to talk to the Connecticut factory as the Arizona factory doesn’t make revolvers.

I can’t say with any inside knowledge but I really think Ruger deliberately keeps production numbers down to keep prices high. Back in the 70’s when the Mini-14 first came out they were everywhere it seems. Bought my 1976 Bicentennial model for only $140 about a hundred less at the time as a Colt AR-15. Rarely see new Minis any more and the prices are way out of line. Last one I saw was at Walmart for $789. Can’t recall the last time I saw a new Mini-30 for sale. 

Back in the 80’s saw a #1 at a gun show. It was caliber converted to what I was told to RCBS Basic. Best I recall the seller told me RCBS sold and I can’t remember if it was 44 or 45 caliber what was named Basic Brass. One trims to length making their own straight wall Wildcat cartridge. Seller told me he takes advantage of the full length just trimming it slightly for consistency. I recall in the seller’s sales pitch him bragging about the velocity of different weight bullets but been way to long ago to remember the numbers.