Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Clever homemade pistol

FC

I saw a so called zip gun as a teenager in a display of weapons confiscated from prisons. The zip gun fired a 22RF. The striker was powered by rubber bands. No trigger, just pulled back the striker, build pressure from the rubber bands and let it go. The striker was made with a nail. The display also had what looked a real pineapple grenade made from a paste of flour and water and covered with shoe polish. 

When I worked in the TX Prison Hospital, there was a collection of weapons taken from the inmate patients.  It was quite impressive.  Also, virtually all of them were found by one screw.  He really took his job seriously.  Very hard-assed.

According to a friend that worked in federal corrections. They eliminated metal silverware using what he described as flimsy plastic. Also changed over to thin paper cups, plates and bowls. Prisoners that ratted on another for having a shank were rewarded with candy bars and a pack of what they called tailor made cigarettes. Friend told me prisoners were very clever in hiding things that were often missed in inspections.