Military Firearm Restoration Corner

flattened primer & guns blown up

FC

Years ago I heard about a mis-hap second hand from a gun club member. Somebody he knew set off a Brit Enfield by slamming the bolt on a raised primer. If I remember correctly the shooter reloaded Berdan primed brass. Either he didn’t seat the primers deep enough or the primers were incorrect depth size. Gun didn’t blow and the shooter lucked out winding up with just a sore hand.

I’ve heard and read about blown Carcanos but never saw one. During the war after the Germans sent troops into Italy and got involved with production of Italian firearms. They began chambering the Carcano to 8X57. The German 8MM raised pressure apx 10,000 lbs more than the Italian 6.5 or 7.35. I can recall numerous warnings for several months in gun rags in mid to late 70’s not to shoot surplus or foreign 8MM ammo in 8MM Cacanos. The commercial USA manufactured 8MM was loaded a lot milder to be safe in the Manlicher and Gew 88 but if I recall correctly warnings said don’t shoot at all until headspace is checked. I assume the high pressure ammo may have created headspace issues.