Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Old West Revolvers Displays

FC

Nice, did you do it?? New one on me as I thought Mesquite only grew in the Southwest USA. Had no idea it grew in Hawaii. The best I’m told comes from Texas.

Way back, mid 70’s. One of my auto parts buyers was making extra money selling Mesquite drill blocks. He claimed he was sending a lot of it overseas. Mesquite grows like weeds in Arizona desert areas. On weekends he would cruise around desert trails looking for Mesquite tree trunks large enough in diameter take it home and cut it into blocks.  

I made them from a mesquite (Kiawe, pronouned kiavay) tree next to the road near where I worked at Tripler Army Medical Center. I really like the coloring of their mesquite over there. I read it was introduced 170 years ago.

If you had that property now, your mesquite would be worth some money! My grandpa had a huge mesquite that cracked down the middle. I had it cut into lumber.

To put the badges on, if you ever go for it, you rout a slot for the pin, pour in epoxy, then set the badge pins into it.