Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Got PPK/s

FC

I'm just reading a DA/SA v. striker fired article in SGN/now FN.  The PP, PPK, PPKS, was the first DA/SA and was noted as having a horrific single action pull, but the article said that the current US production stuff was supposed to be better.  Looks like yours is in keeping with the original tradition.

You got a smoking good deal!!

Since the early 70’s I’ve wanted a 380 PPK/s but currently costing apx $650 on the net. Guess it will remain on my wish list. Back in the early 80’s a guy I used to cross paths with at desert shooting locations had one and let me shoot a couple of mags through it. I kind of knew him as our wives used to work together occasionally doing survey work. Another acquaintance had a PPK not the S. His was made in Turkey and was a sweet shooter. He claimed it was fussy about the type of ammo, only working reliably with FMJ’s. Claimed he carried it with a HP in the chamber but the mag was loaded with FMJ’s.

Closest I ever got to a PPK was the Polish P-64. It is a PPK clone but not close enough that parts including the mag are not interchangeable. When I first got the P-64 the D/A pull was beyond ridiculous. Apx 25 or more lbs according to YouTube and net reviews. Reason being the Poles developed a sub machine gun that was chambered in the same 9MM Makarov caliber. Can’t recall the details but the sub gun had to use very hard primers. The poles changed hammer springs on all their 9 Mak chambered pistols to put enough ooomph to light up the hard primers. I sent away for a spring kit that drastically reduced the D/A trigger pull and it worked just fine. Been several years but if I remember the numbers correctly. Kit came with a 12 and 16 lb hammer springs. The spring kit recommended the 16 lb spring for surplus ammo and 12 for commercial. I installed the 12lb and it worked fine with Wolf brand and my hand loads using trimmed 9MM Luger brass. With the lighter spring with some Mil-Surp Commie bloc but not a Polish 9 Mak ammo I had a few that needed a second strike with the 12lb spring. 

Might be worth looking into a lighter hammer spring for your PPK/s unless you might use it for self defense. If yes probably best to leave it stock. Your PPK/s like my P-64 is great for concealed pocket carry. I pocket carry my P64 occasionally without a holster with loose fitting pants or shorts. I also carry it every now and then in the pocket of my Levi jacket. It’s small size makes it very convenient when I’m in a hurry not having time to change clothes getting on my IWB holster but don’t want to leave unarmed.

I have a PPH in 380 for carry.

It is the expot copy of the PA-63  which is a Hungarian copy of the Walter ppk. Had it since the 80's.

Had to change out a part of two over the years but I fires any type of 380 ammo and never fails

I dont think they are made any more but the Pa-63 is still out there 

karl

I have found that guns accepted for police or military use may well not be in the class of fine sporting arms, but they do tend to work under almost any conditions which if ya think about it is logical

karl

On 1/2/2020 at 4:04 AM, karlunity said:

I have found that guns accepted for police or military use may well not be in the class of fine sporting arms, but they do tend to work under almost any conditions which if ya think about it is logical

karl

I’ve heard and read some bad press about the early S&W autos adopted by police depts when they changed over from revolvers. The worse being, I’m not sure of model but S&W’s entry into the plastic fantastic market to compete with Glock. Was a real dud and adopted by some police depts. A Phx cop I used to bump into occasionally at lunch time near my delivery route. He told me about Phx PD was close to accepting a S&W being favored over the Glock because of the lower cost. I don’t recall the numbers but even if it was only 20 bucks a pistol it would be substantial for a large order. He claimed Phx tested both and as he said beat the piss out of them, abused them in every way imaginable including dropping them from a helicopter with a blank in the chamber. He concluded by saying the S&W had numerous failures and the Glock didn’t. He did tell me a Sig sub compact was selected over Glock for detectives and undercover. The Sig model I wish I knew was also approved for cops purchasing their own back-up. 

A bit off subject. A close friend while stationed in Germany worked as an armorer from about 68 through early 70’s. He tuned and did trigger jobs on 1911’s for as he said it, officers he liked. I don’t know at which level but with enough rank certain officers were permitted to retain their issue pistols 24/7. According to my friend some of the older officer’s 1911’s were old but kept in pristine condition. My friend would get them occasionally with simple clean and oil orders. If the officer picked the gun up personally. My friend would compliment the officer on the gun’s well kept condition and if they were friendly they often had a story to go along with it the gun. He also told me he had parts on hand for WW2 vintage Colt 32 and 380 autos but never serviced one. Told me some MP’s and a few officers had WW2 and Korean vintage 38 revolvers but they were sent stateside for service. 

Hello Az

My PPH is the 380 export of PA - 63

I keep looking for reason to upgrade just becouse..but the PPH just works, Feed it any thing from hand loads to mil sup to defense ammo..It just works.

Had to change the grips and a few springs   but nothing major...it just works

karl 

I had a 9MM Makarov chambered PPH I bought from J&G. Can’t remember the exact price but with a tiny chip on the grip just a little over a hundred. I cussed it at first being a jam o matic. Sat in my vault for over a year then I think it was board member Horseman told me to try another mag. Afterward buying a used mag from J&G it never jammed again.

I used that pistol to cut my teeth on reloading the 9 Mak from trimmed 9MM brass with home cast slugs. At the time I had three other Mak chambered pistols. The PPH, CZ, Russian and Bulgarian Makarovs. They all had different bore sizes even the two Makarovs. If I remember right ranged from .362 to .365. I had a Lee sizer that I sent off and opened up to .364 and it worked fine in all with no leading. I wound up trading the PPH for a Smith &Wesson 38 and one of the Maks for a 410 O/U while Backpage was still active. 

Tony wish you were at my gun club meeting tonight you would have loved the 32 cal PPK’s a club member brought in his collection of pre WW2 Walthers and Mauser pistols. He had a unique PPK not sure if it was PPK or PPK/s  The particular model was given or made available for sale to high ranking Nazi party officials and lacked any Nazi or military markings. Dated 1934 and was stamped RGR instead of Walther although it was manufactured by Walther. The other PPK’s were all from the late 30’s but did not have any military or Nazi stamping. One of the PPK’s and a 1935 Mauser looked mint and likely unfired. The Mauser was a real gem, deep dark blueing. All the Walthers had checkered wood grips. The collector claimed most if not all PPK’s with swastica marked grips are fake. One PPK bring back with capture papers came back with the US GI writing his name and co inside the holster flap matching the name on the capture papers. He told us he found a piece of paper stuffed in the bottom of the holster. Turned out to be a partial sheet of a Berlin newspaper dated 1942. The holster was ill fitting and the paper was used to keep the PPK from rattling around the loose fitting holster.

Surprisingly the Walther and Mauser collection didn’t win tonight’s best in show plaque. An older guy brought in a pair of post Revolutionary War but dated pre War of 1812 flintlocks. One was 58 caliber the other 69. Neither one appeared to have had much use or handling. The original condition value of one was down graded as the previous owner removed, polished and sealed the brass. He guessed the unknown sealant was likely lacquer. He claimed to have looked for bayonets for both for years with no luck. He told us there was no interchangeable parts from that era. The bayonets were unique to each individual gun maker. Both had stampings to indicate belonging to the US govt. 

The 22 PPK will take down like all the others.  You can see the hinge pin in the bottom of the trigger guard in his pic.

Not surprising everything was unique on that 1800 rifle pair.  Eli Whitney just invented interchangeable parts about then, and I'm pretty sure only his factory used it at that time.  Also, his interchangeable parts for the demonstration to the government was not exactly an honest demonstration.  They fine tuned all the parts to make darn sure they interchanged.

19 hours ago, Dr.Hess said:

The 22 PPK will take down like all the others.  You can see the hinge pin in the bottom of the trigger guard in his pic.

That’s what I assumed but recall seeing a poly framed 22 RF 1911 that looked and even felt like a real one except for the lighter weight. The barrel bushing and knurled plunger looked real but was fake, it came off in one piece with the slide. It disassembled by poking out the slide stop. I almost bought it for my son but the price was to high. 

Not surprising everything was unique on that 1800 rifle pair.  Eli Whitney just invented interchangeable parts about then, and I'm pretty sure only his factory used it at that time.  Also, his interchangeable parts for the demonstration to the government was not exactly an honest demonstration.  They fine tuned all the parts to make darn sure they interchanged.

Ive wondered if there is any truth to the tale about the Army testing the interchangeably of parts before they accepted 1911’s from contractors. The story goes several pistols were completely disassembled, all the loose parts dumped in a box along with used parts from issued pistols. Story goes if something didn’t fit or work after the mixed up parts were randomly reassembled it was rejected. Sounds logical except the military was so desperate for guns in WW2 they may have turned a blind eye if one of several didn’t work right or something didn’t fit that couldn’t be quickly fixed with a needle file. 

As a rule marines did NOT exchange parts or do that which would allow that to happen.

That was simply not allowed to happen so changing parts was not an issue,

karl

We did play jokes on eachother  marines have a low and evil idea of humor: )  but fooling with weapons was not done