Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Flintlock finally accurate

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, karlunity said:

Well.  the plastic may well grab the bore differently ?

karl 

Years ago when I used a CVA 50 cal rifle built from a kit for Javalina hunting. The shot to shot accuracy was a remarkable improvement after I started using plastic sabot instead of paper or cloth patches. I used a very similar looking plastic patch with my home or commercial cast balls. Bench rested I could shoot clusters at 100 yards. Previously I bought a square of pillow tickling from I think was from a Dixie Gun Works. The pillow tickling was an improvement over patching with old t shirts or whatever rag I had on hand. I also used some paper patches using so called rag paper. The rag paper I was told was the same type paper used to make USA currency.  After getting some plastic 50 cal sabots in a black powder shooters kit there was no looking back. By far superior to any paper or cloth patches I used. 

A bit off track, how do you pronounce SABOT ?? I’m told it’s a French word correctly pronounced say bow not say bot. 

My barrel would foul up a bit quicker using the plastic sabots with real black powder. Guess the mutton tallow, Crisco or some commercial stuff I used named Spit Patch used with the cloth patches helps keep the fouling soft. How the die hard black powder shooters can handle the mutton tallow leads me to believe they have strong stomachs. Never tried it but I imagine nipple cream would work as well as tallow without the stench. 

If I recall, my friend that was a Master Gunner in the army, which is the top enlisted position for tanks, requires a special school and there are only a few in the country, said "say bow."  They use a depleted uranium round that is extremely fast and will blast right through armor.  The Russians have their own version, of course, and my friend told me that in the first Gulf War, our tanks got hit with them directly, point blank, at the bottom front of the tank, like when cresting a hill.  After dispatching the Iraqi tank, our guys would go out to where they got hit and kick the Russian sabot round out of the M1's armor.