Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Chilean Mausers at CH Kadel

Dr.Hess

It is 125 years old.  And they did get used.  I'm surprised it is in as good of condition as it is.  There's a partial crack, a bit more than hairline, but not complete, on the right side of the stock from the butt plate forward.  I think some wicking superglue will take care of that.  All in all, it is actually in much better condition than the last Spanish 1916 Mauser I bought, even with the missing bits.

Not real sure where I'm going with it.  I plan on checking the headspace today or whenever I can get to it and see what it's like.  If it is good on a field gauge and doesn't keyhole, I may fix the sights, clean it up and keep it like that.  A used rear sight looks to run about $40 on ebay.  gpc is out of stock, of course.  I think one of my spare Spanish 1916 front sights should about work.

Dr Hess

Sir I have a rear sight from a 03 Mauser and the front sight base, it has a cut but I am sure that can be taken care of and I may have the front sight..

If you need them..PM and I will mail it out.

karl 

Thanks, Karl.  I don't know if the 03 Mauser sight will work.  This is the "ladder" type.  The whole sight swings up vertically like a ladder, then you move the sight slider up and down (literally, straight up) to the required range.  Is the 03 like that?

No problem, Karl. 

Looking at the crack in the stock, it looks like it cracked where the rear stock screw went in, and it is all the way through.  I can fix that with some Devcon, or even shoot some gorilla glue in there and clamp it. Probably do that before I shoot it.

So I checked the headspace this evening.  And... it's... PERFECT.  Also found an auction on GB that had a bunch of old sights, front and rear.  I think there's a Chilean in there, or one that is close enough to use for parts, so I bought it.

Those days are long gone, FC.  A clean Argie or Persian goes for five bills these days.  Maybe more.

It's going to be a while before I get around to shooting it.  I don't have any 7mm loaded up at the moment, it needs sights, other stuff in line, etc.  But I'll let y'all know how it does.  I'll fix the crack in the stock first, too.  I bought some black epoxy dye on ebay last night also.  I'll mix that with the Devcon and push it down the crack, then clamp it.

I was quite surprised and pleased with the headspace.  I mean perfect.  Closes on go, doesn't on no-go.  After the Spanish Mausers I've been playing with that swallow a field gauge, it was nice.

• 3 months later...

keywholes?

A, Clean the bore..make an electric cleaner if need be 

B. Slug the clean bore if that is still 7mm and it may be worn, try 200 grain 7mm or bigger (https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/wildcat-bullets-7mm-200gr-now-shipping.45231/)

C, If the bore is gone, but you still have rifling Perhaps  cast  for it?

Good luck sir

karl

The bore looks clean.  My biggest 7mm is I think around 170 GR, cast, powder coated, unsized, started WAY out, as long as I could get it and have the case grab on to something.  Keyholes.  Same as with the last Spanish (3rd one in a row) barrel.  I even have a 140 GR mold that I drilled out the lube grooves so it is straight and smooth, giving lots of area to grab rifling.  Keyholes.  They all shoot fine in my 7mm Spanish that I put a new (not used) barrel on because... Keyholes.