Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Making a gun- ground level up

FC

Definately a lot of hard labor in that project. It amazes me the amount of skills that some people possess. He did a beautiful job on the project. I have made two piece stocks from a block of wood, but I have not been able to bring myself to try it with a one piece stock. If I did I would have to do all inletting and shaping by hand, as I don't have the mills etc that it would otherwise require. Maybe someday I will try it, who knows. swamp_thing

Those are J Belk pictures from a while back.

He is the king of Mauser sporterizing.

He dropped out of sight a few years back.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/groupe...610044#50610044

sonic1, for me it would be real scary to start out with a blank that was 250.00 and know that it only takes one wrong move to make match stick material out of it. I have spent close to 175.00 on semi inlet stocks and that scares me enough. Of course, for the guys that do this for a living that is probably pocket change prices. I have heard of blanks that got into the thousands range. I would never have that kind of cash or confidence. swamp_thing

The blank he used on the one eyed Jack was one of those in the thousands range. Jack was a good mentor til he dropped off the face of the earth.

One of the best things about him in addition to his talent was his ability to verbalize the process. Something that pains me to do even half-assed.

That pictorial is priceless.

A mill is definitely important for fast work, but the stock could be managed with a table saw to square-up the blank and start the barrel channel, a decent drill press, careful measuring and layout, and rasps, sharp chisels and sandpaper.

The metal work is a different story.

A nice $100 claro blank might take the jitters out of trying, and could still result in a product to be proud of.

Thanks for posting that FC.

cool.gif Swamp_Thing, I have never known you to be afraid to tackle anything. If you mess up a very nice piece of wood, there's always pistol grips that can be made out of it. Besides you could tell your friends that you are so well off that even your fire wood is ultra expensive. Tinman

Guest Guest_littlecanoe_*

z1r,

I'm glad that you made the reference to Mr Westbrooks book. I purchased it a few months ago and picked up a bunch from the read. I winged it on my first 2 stocks and now have a good base to work from in understanding his book. Thankfully no expensive blanks were used or ruined smile.gif

The only thing that was missing was instruction on initial mortising for the trigger assy.

Does Al Lindens book cover this or is this part so simple that it doesn't need a lot of explaining?

Thanks

Steve

Doble, you are quiet correct about not having to have a mill to do this. It would be a great saver of work, but as you stated can be worked around. On the two piece stocks I have done, I have done all cutting with a table saw, circular saw and then rasps chisels and files. Have used my drill press for the holes. It can be done albeit with a bit more work. I guess when it comes down to it, health issues are the biggest deterent to me starting a project like that. Each successive stock has gotten to be more difficult and therefore the fun is going away. Funny how when something we love becomes work the desire dwindles. LOL swamp_thing

Great stuff! Lots of other good photos on other projects as well. He should write a book! I'd buy it.

Couldn't find a photo of the $1000 blank in there anywhere, would love to see one. I can't imagine a piece of wood that expensive as I have seen some jaw droppers for far less.

And I sweated every checkering line I did on my $80 piece of plain jane cherry... huh.gif

This one was to be sure, too bad it isn't color.

Stock

Sorry, it been a while since I looked at is site. He doesn't have any pics of the ciompleted one eyed jack. That was a nice stock too.