Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Selous

ken98k

I’m currently reading “A Hunter’s Wanderings in Africa” by Fredrick Selous.

I can’t imagine hunting with a 12 lb smooth bore muzzle loader that fires 4oz balls! 

Instead of measuring the black powder they would take a handful from a leather bag hung from their waist and pour it down the barrel. It frequently took several shots from those cannons to kill an elephant.

If they had 458 winchesters in those days, I think elephants would be extinct today.

I have a vague recollection of seeing huge long guns on display at an African hunting display at the Arizona State Fair. My best guess I saw it in the late 50’s with my older brother putting me not older than 10. I say long guns because I don’t know if they were rifles or smooth bores but do remember enough to know they were muzzle loaders. The guns were so huge the tour guide said it took 2 or 3 men to operate them. The two guns were identical. I believe the guide said it took at least two shots to bring down an Elephant or a Rhinoceros. There was also a very large bore muzzle loading pistol on display. Jest a guess but the pistol may have been used as a last resort on deadly game.