Military Firearm Restoration Corner

S&B primer pockets

FC

Doc I bought that set up a number of years back and have never tried it, mainly due to reading about how hard it was to set up properly. Is there any truth to that? It just really doesn’t look that complicated to me. I’ve got a bunch of military brass that has the staked primers that are a real pain compared to the crimped.

The stake pockets leave raised spots on the case heads several thousands high was wondering if the RCBS set up might not mash them back out some ? Do you have any experience with that. 
     Thanks 

I'm not sure about staked primers, but I've done a bunch of crimped primers with that RCBS set.  It is not hard.  There is no real setup either.  You just put the die in, the swagger in, the cup over the swagger, put the deprimed shell over the swagger, run it up, pull it down with authority and it will pop off swagged out.

I’ve had the same problem with S&B primer pockets on all their brass I’ve loaded 38, 9 & 45. It’s also as difficult seating S&B brand primers. It was difficult seating primers in S&B brass with my Hornady Lock’N’Load progressive press and my hand and thumb got rapidly tired using a Lee hand priming tool. I set the S&B brass aside then after accumulating a bunch seated the primers the old fashion way on my RCBS Rock Chucker press getting plenty of leverage. Second time around the primers will seat easier.

My gripe with the RCBS swaging tool for opening up tight primer pockets. It only goes into the pocket about 2/3 the way in making it a bit difficult to bottom the primer in all the way. Back in the 70’s I used the swager on 1930’s FA brass. For some unknown reason the pocket size was 217-218 in diameter instead of the standard 220. The tight size was confirmed in Frank Barnes’ Cartridges of the World. The author claimed he never did discover the reason FA tightened up the pocket size. I used the swager opening the pockets but often it left a ring near the bottom and I recall crushing a few primers before they bottomed out. I finally threw in the towel and tossed the Frankfort Arsenal brass in the scrap pile. I also recall the majority of the 40+ year old brass began splitting and was never hand loaded more than once. I can’t recall the price but do recall getting the once fired FA brass dirt cheap at a gun show.  

6 hours ago, Dr.Hess said:

I'm not sure about staked primers, but I've done a bunch of crimped primers with that RCBS set.  It is not hard.  There is no real setup either.  You just put the die in, the swagger in, the cup over the swagger, put the deprimed shell over the swagger, run it up, pull it down with authority and it will pop off swagged out.

Im with Doc,  really simple to set up and use. I’ve done a gazillion US GI 556, 762 and 06 with mine. According to what I recall reading years ago in Hand Loaders magazine. The swaging tool was preferred by bench rest and varmint shooters for the consistency vs cutting the crimp. Inconsistent cutting of the crimp leaves a portion of the primer unsupported.