Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Missed a nice buck

fritz

But I was a little undergunned, or more properly, underpowered.

Last night on the way home, a big buck steps out in front of my little 1/2 ton pickup. I veered to the side quickly, because he would have caused quite a dent in that truck. I missed him (just barely), but had I been driving the old cattle truck I would have venison hanging now.

The bucks are not that hard to kill here, it's just what you want to use to do the job. I chose not to use a Chevy Silverado.

BTW, there were all kinds of things out last night. Just past the deer incident, next to a Negro cemetary, there was a figure holding a lantern as it emerged from the graves. Needless to say, I got out of there pronto!

Maybe it was the beer I had been drinking, but I still had my wits about me.

fritz

It couldn't have been pizza, I hate the stuff. Give me sourkraut before that crap (and I hate sourkraut too).

I believe (since I am not superstitious) it may have been a fellow returning home from feeding a horse late in the evening.

The cemetary is a small family cemetary that is in a horse pasture.

fritz

Hey fritz, if you aren't superstitious then why'd you need to make a hasty retreat when you saw the figure coming from the cemetary? Huh?

I'm not really superstitious myself, but I still won't do all those things that you hear you shouldn't, like walking under ladders, or not throwing a pinch of salt over my left shoulder if I spill it...why tempt fate? LOL!

Sorry that you felt too "underpowered" to take that buck! Maybe next time!

Fritz,

One of my last college courses was "Introduction to American Folklore."

We took the Texas slant on American folklore as our prof was the secretary/editor of the Texas Folklore Society.

I distinctly remember a story from this class about a latern bearing man emerging from a cemetary on moonlite nights...somewhere down near you.

So it is interesting that you had this experience as we all hear lots of stories like this but no one ever actually experiences them.

In the end however, I am glad you're alright.

Jason

Jason,

Was the story about a black man with a lantern, or was it too dark to tell?

This cemetary is across the road from a black settlement that locals call "The plantation". The graves are all family members.

Last night as I passed by the "Plantation", there was a big fire. One or more of the houses (shanties) burned down.

I will continue to be cautious concerning anyone emerging from a cemetary at night!

fritz