Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Another recent acquisition

AzRednek

My latest acquisition, a Remington R-51 with holster and Crimson Trace laser. Strangely I also got a roll of weed eater string in the deal. Got it from a friend of a gay neighbor that needed 150 bucks for rent. She claimed it was a gift from a former roomie. I didn’t ask if the roomie was male or female but from her appearance I suspect it was female. I got the numbers ran, not on hot list but unfortunately I was told last time. In the future I will have to do it like anybody else. 

This is the gen 2 model, not the previous R-51’s that were recalled by Remington. She claimed only a single box through it minus 12 rds in the two 6 rd mags. I’m seeing a lot of mixed reviews on YouTube. Most saying reliable after a 100 rd break in. Between a gazillion Dr appts and physical therapy now three times a week. I haven’t had a chance to try it. The laser dot points right atop the sights at apx 20 feet. The trigger is very crisp, no creep or grit after hitting the wall but a bit heavy. YouTube reviews claim trigger improves considerably with use. I’ll live with the trigger, just can’t justify a $75 trigger job . It’s rated for +P 9 MM. One review shot several rds of Federal +P+ without problems and the expended brass didn’t show signs of high pressure judging from the primer dent. The only safety is a grip safety. Guess I’m showing my age being old fashion in my way of thinking but what sold me. It all metal with the exception of the grips, mag follower but unfortunately a plastic trigger. Hopefully I make time this week and get it to the range. 

50C9E368-39F3-43E5-85E6-8218380974D1.jpeg

B6140874-2369-4C6E-8AA1-A9A603D9CEF5.jpeg

5 hours ago, Dr.Hess said:

How do "the rest of us" run numbers on a gun to make sure it isn't on the hot list?

Police departments will set up a policy. The only way to know for sure is to contact them. Phoenix wants both the seller and buyer to come to the headquarters or satellite facilities with the cased firearm. They tell you on phone both need to show up but will run numbers if only the buyer shows up. Have to show ID, they take possession of gun behind counter then run the numbers. By phone they gave me phone number of the sub station. Telling me to let them know you’re coming as there might or might not be a cop there. Police Aides or other staff can not run the numbers as they don’t have access to NICS system. 

All I know about what happens if the gun is hot, I’ve read on the net. Naturally the gun is confiscated, both parties are detained, interrogated and possibly arrested. If cash has already been exchanged cops won’t get involved saying it’s a civil matter., An alternative method which can also vary between cities, counties or state. Pawnbrokers can often have numbers ran by phone. If you know anybody that works at a pawn shop they might be able to do it. If you know a cop they can run the numbers from their cop car but be prepared for TSHTF if the gun is hot. 

Phoenix is kind of chicken sh!t if they confiscate a hot gun. They will not contact owner unless they are needed as a prosecution witness. I do know from personal experience, police told me to contact them occasionally to see if gun has been located. Other recovered property if not needed for evidence. Cops contact owners ASAP so they don’t have to store it. Years ago a former neighbor recovered his stolen lawn furniture. He got a post card saying if not claimed within 30 days goods will be disposed or auctioned.  

On 3/14/2020 at 7:33 AM, FC said:

Sounds like more of a pain than it’s worth!

It is indeed but somebody I knew years ago during a traffic stop had his gun confiscated after it turned up as stolen. About a week later cops showed up with a search warrant and took all his guns. I was told he eventually got them all back.

About 89 I had a gun confiscated after a confrontation with several teenagers. I pulled the gun after a punk threatened my then wife with a club. The real PIA was getting it back. I started early in the morning and finally getting it back about 4:30. I got a run around like you could never imagine. I bounced back and forth between Phx detectives, city and county prosecutor’s offices. After returning to detectives the third time that day. A detective made a phone call and sent me to property room and I got it back. Obviously the run around was deliberate.