Military Firearm Restoration Corner

St. Bubba’s

FC

That floor really looks sharp. Wish I had pictures. One of my postal patrons did his entire floor with oak he scrapped from parts crates. He was some kind of manager with Arizona Public Service the electric co.  

A suggestion on the new appliances. Give them a test run and check the warranty. I got stung on a free standing stove/oven. Labor was only good for 90 days from purchase date and parts for two years. I had to buy the stove as I eliminated the broken down built in stove top and the separate oven built into another cabinet. I got the stove , rebuilt the surrounding cabinet then finally a new counter top. Stove had to go in before the counter top was cut and installed.

Months later after finishing the house and getting renters in there. Discovered the oven’s thermostat was no good. The factory serviceman wanted a small fortune in labor. I can’t recall the numbers but do recall it being in excess of $200. After arguing with the repair guy’s supervisor I got the part no cost. It was in the warranty, the parts had to be replaced by a factory authorized service but they finally relented and left me with a new thermostat and thermostat coupler. I thought they were breaking it off in my ass on the labor but quickly discovered why. I had to completely disassemble the entire unit. Took me over eight hours on two days.

The serviceman told me if it had been in the first 90 days they would have replaced the entire stove rather than replace the part. I paid less than the $200 labor for the stove buying it as a second. It has a large ding and nasty scratch on one side of the housing that doesn’t show adjacent to the cabinet. Been there close to 20 years now and still working just fine. 

Something to keep in mind buying Hotpoint brand rather than GE. If I had paid more for the exact same stove with the GE logo and built in analog clock instead of digital. Labor would have been covered for a year. Being the cheapskate I am, I usually buy Hotpoint appliances. A former neighbor a GE tech, told me the only differences between GE and Hotpoint are cosmetic. The GE analog clock in bold letters says made in USA but the clock is the only thing built here everything else is from China.