Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Layed off gun deal

rdm1962

I'm still working but we've had some layoffs. A machine operator on layoff called me and said he needed to raise some cash to pay bills. We talked guns and hunting. He had a Marlin 1895 in 444 Marlin. We talked about how expensive ammo was for it and he never really shot it much  He offered it to me for $350. He set the price and it was reasonable. It's in almost new condition. He knew I reloaded so I could afford to shoot it. I had a nice vintage 4x Redfield scope and base & rings already. Reloading components are ordered and on the way. Now I just need to find the time to develop some loads for it.  Ralph

That's reasonable.

The gun magazines have had some articles on those.  If I recall, the biggest problem with the 444 Marlin was getting a true rifle bullet.  The case is basically a 44 magnum magnum, and rifle bullets in that caliber are hard to come by.  Pistol bullets at that velocity don't do well then they smack into things.  Break apart to fast or something.

I would have jumped on that deal too.