Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Our beloved yorkie is dead

FC

Our beloved Mr. Teddy is dead from congestive heart failure. We barely slept last night due to his shortness of breath and coughing. Poor little fella's tongue was blue at the vet. He was 14. He loved his people's laps, and would have been the perfect therapy dog for a hospital. Really a rough day. We have two dogs left.

Teddy in the window 4-08.jpg

So sorry to hear about your dog Tony . I’ve been a dog lover my entire life but always had hunting dogs . We got a little female Yorkie a few years ago , I was dreading it really as I’d never been around them but she has turned into my best friend and bed partner I understand the beloved part of your post as I feel the same about Sophi.

People really don't understand how hard it is when a pet dies.  The hardest thing I had to do what put down my Lady.  She been through alot but still a trooper.  She help two cancer patients and protect us while on the truck.  Still miss her to this day and think about her everyday.  So with that my condolences to you and you family.

Rob

I’m really sorry to hear Tony.

Something I learned at the Post Office. People take the loss of a pet the same as a family member. I leaned on USPS mgmt twice after they were hard on employees taking time off grieving over the loss of a dog. I didn’t see it but I heard a coworker broke down and fire was called after Vet’s office called telling her, her dog died. 

I really took it hard having to put down my Rottweiler about five years ago. His vertebrae was splitting apart, according to Vet it was related to a birth defect. He was the most loyal and protective dog I have ever known. He was vicious as a puppy and I got bit three times training him. By the time he was a year old he mellowed out, loved to play with kids and he had a way of sensing danger. 

0CFB5B4C-AA80-4D0A-9FC3-7F9CFF2C5B5F.jpeg

This is Lady.  She found me at work on day and I give her my sandwich. Next day she showed back up and once again I give her my sandwich.  Third day, I want and got dog food.  She was covered with ticks and flea.  My wife and I clean her up the best we can.  We then called a groomer to see if we can get her in.  She did not like being left alone so I had to stay and told her it was all good.  But the rest is history.

SmartSelect_20200527-225617_Facebook.jpg

Bubba made it to 13, which is pretty old for a large dog.  We waited until he passed before looking for another.  I didn't want to stress him out with a new puppy.  Ridgebacks are not exactly easy to find when you want one.  They are not that common.  I found Meisje at a breeder near Abilene.  We met half way in OKC.

Here's she is today, at 10-1/2 months old, 84 lbs:

Meisje_20200528.thumb.jpg.081e9a5266eac7ee2421d7bda7e0900d.jpg

One of my postal patrons bred the Rhodesian Ridgeback. He was part of an organization that investigated potential buyers as they were particular about who got them especially males. They also bred Afghan show dogs. Guess he did alright as him and his wife seemed to carve out a living with their dogs.

When I was looking for Bubba, some of the breeders were a little "out there."  One insisted on the dog being "crate trained" or she wouldn't sell you one, plus all kinds of other requirements.  I told her I was looking to buy a dog, not adopt a child.  Finally found Bubba at a breeder out in the woods in Arkansas, at a nicely kept old trailer house.  Directions on how to get there included things like "take the middle branch of the road..."  no sign, just the middle branch.  The middle aged couple bred a Ridgeback pair.  He had some fleas, so I asked for some spray to keep them out of the car and house.  The man said incredulously "You'se gonna let him in the house???"  They hunted hogs with his parents. 

The AKC web site has a puppy finder section.  I found a few breeders on there when looking for Meisje (Dutch for "Girl.")  One was a vet and they had a whole list of requirements including not giving you the "papers" until the dog was a year old and spayed.  I passed.  The woman we got Meisje from was very nice.  We met at the Bass Pro parking lot.

Meisje_20190929.thumb.jpg.e490db5baac5df1aef5e3689bd2d4f51.jpg

I was recovering from or still in the midst of a very bad case of strep throat, while undiagnosed DM-II was still raging.  Linda drove out and back with me shotgun.

Also known as an "African Lion Dog."  They were bred to hunt lions, protect the camp, be good with the kids around the farm/ranch, etc.  Three of them are said to attack a pride of five lions.  I've had 3 and seen them in action.  It is amazing.

• 5 weeks later...

This is my current companion. A pure bred German Shepard, sub breed American Sable. His father was a drug sniffing dog for the Florence Az police dept. I got him for a thousand as he was rejected for police dog school. I never got a straight answer or did I persist in finding out why he was rejected. I believe it might be because he’s a coward around other dogs even little ones

I was pressured by a punk insurance investigator to have him castrated. I refused then when my homeowners and umbrella insurance renewed they put an addenda into the policy limiting their liability to one thousand for a dog bite. I called their office, lied telling them I got him fixed. The woman on the phone said she would contact under writing and have the addenda removed. Not hearing anything when the quarterly payment came due I contacted my local agent asking her if she heard anything. A few days later she contacted me asking for documentation. I took him to the vet had him castrated at 16 months. According to what I read on the net 18 months was the ideal age. I tried to get the Vet to back date the county certificate and as expected she refused. I sent the paperwork to the agent rather than the under writing office in St Louis. I didn’t get anything in writing but did get an email from my agent telling me it was fixed and the dog bite cap was gone. I burned a copy of her email and archived in my Yahoo file. 

I had several coworkers put a lot more than a grand in their pocket for a dog bite. One female coworker, an attractive single woman insisted on plastic surgery to remove the scars. It went to court and she cleared six figures after reimbursing the federal worker’s comp and giving her lawyer one third. She also pulled the mental anguish angle. Ran up up huge bill with regular visits to a shrink, claimed the mental problems caused her to gain weight, become addicted to sleeping pills and probably other troubles I wasn’t privy to. When the Post Office put her back on the street she had what was described to me as a panic attack. A dog barking at her behind a closed door supposedly caused her to throw all the mail in the air, run down the street in fear and police and fire caught her hiding. My impression was it was phony, likely coached by a greedy lawyer. I was told the home owner was forced to take a mortgage on his paid for house as the judgement exceeded his liability coverage. Since seeing what a dog bite could cost there was no way I’d settle for having only a thousand in liability coverage. My homeowners policy is good for 100,000 and my umbrella covers me up to one mill. 

FDC58498-5642-4205-AB9D-46A5795DFF07.jpeg

The photo doesn’t show his color accurately. The black and tan is becoming popular. When he is in bright direct sunlight I can see a slight reddish tingle in the tan hence the sub breed classification as Red Sable. I could have got papers but it didn’t make sense spending a bit over 200 bucks when he was going to be fixed. I was going to breed him with the owner’s being papered with him paying for my paperwork but he never followed through. In most cases the male’s owner gets first pick in the litter. By the time he got around to calling me it was to late. Despite my dog being nutless when ever my neighbor’s dog is in heat. My dog howls like a coyote in my back yard. Guess it’s some kind of dog love call.