Military Firearm Restoration Corner

An impulse purchase

AzRednek

Guess in a moment of weakness I sprang for another pistol. To keep my conscience clear. I considered it my patriotic duty to put a piece of President Trump’s $1200.00 back into the economy. The low price, 5 inch barrel and a metal aluminum alloy frame and not the typical plastic fantastic dishwasher safe. Guess I’m showing my age as I am very partial to all metal handguns. I hope President Trump doesn’t mind me buying an import from Turkey. Turkey is after all a NATO ally.

BS aside I bought a Zigana model M16 9MM. Yes M16, I guess the M16 part is what grabbed my attention on their email spam ad. Only to take a second look to see it wasn’t a real M16 dirt cheap. The  price was only 229.99 + 22.93 shipping and 20 to my FFL. I was out the door with a new in box 9MM for under 290 bucks. I ordered it from Classic Arms and had it in a few days. 

After weeding my way through the YouTube reviews for real users and not like Classic and other distributers doing a sales pitch. I couldn’t find any bad reviews on it or any other Zigana firearm or from the Turkish parent corporation Tisas. Now if President Trump will send me another 1200 bucks the temptation to buy a Turkish 1911 might be overwhelming. 

I have a fondness for the Turk clones especially the CZ’s. Back a few years ago while Backpage was hot with gun trades I did pretty good trading up with the Beretta 92 clones when I could be out the door with one for under 300. Now they are selling for over 400 with apx 50 or more bucks for shipping and FFL fees. I have put hundreds of rounds through my CZ clones without a single hiccup. Last Christmas I bought my grandson a lefty semi 12 ga semi with walnut stock, chrome lined bore and 5 choke tubes out the door for about maybe even under 300. Internet chatter claims it is a Benneli clone. It appears the Turk shotguns are replacing the Italians for the shotgun king of the hill. 

My final impulse purchase, not the shrouded hammer snubby. I’ve had it for a few years. It’s the 1960’s genuine S&W wood grips. Been wanting a pair for quite awhile but they usually get in excess of 50 bucks on eBay. I got these grips via eBay shipped for 20. The sticking point was the lack of a screw. There was only one J-frame grip screw one eBay that would cost apx 13 with shipping. It’s not the standard S&W grip screw. Being the small J-frame the screw was a tough find. I finally located the screw from a music store after being referred there from a nut and bolt warehouse I was sent from my hardware store. The tiny oddball fine threaded screw I was told is used on some guitars and violins. 

5ABF8F34-3D99-4C81-9ED9-7A71F5FA4953.jpeg

6CC92DA8-F0FB-4920-80DA-EF220E3DD022.jpeg

image.jpg

57240BAD-DDAB-44ED-9BA5-4313BEBFD5A0.jpeg

I have read a lot of positive things in the gun mags about current Turkish manufacturing.  Pics of the plants, all spotless, large and with many huge CNC machines.  The guns get good reviews too.  Turkish shotguns do seem to have the low price market sewn up.  I like my Turk Mausers, but they are certainly from a different era.

I’ve had great luck with Turk guns except the dangerous POS Canick that Century Arms refused to honor their warranty. I still have two Turk Mausers in cosmoline. 2 of the 3 I cleaned the bores looked mint, bright, shiny and likely unfired. I didn’t have gauges but the mis matched bolts would not close with shim stock on the bolt’s face. My 20/20 hindsight says I should have scarfed up a dozen when they were 79.95 with bayonet and 10 bucks each off if buying two or more from J&G.

I managed to trade a Turk Mauser for a 60’s S&W Highway Patrolman 357. I did put a lot of work into it touching up the metal with black oxide, polished bolt and refinished the wood. The young guy was thrilled, he had a big sh!t eating grin on his face as he showed it to his buddy. I could almost see his taking advantage of me attitude with his body language. 

I have only seen one for sure but I bet there are plenty around. The Turk rebuilds of the German WW1 Gew 98’s. Many were rebarreled to 765 and again when the Turks converted to 8MM. The one I saw was still in 765. All the Turk Mausers I bought, sold and traded were all K.Kale. I could write a horror story about the 1930’s 765 surplus Turk ammo my buds and I bought in the mid 70’s. Best I recall the ammo was so dirt cheap the shipping exceeded the cost of the ammo. I think it came from SARCO or another now defunct New Jersey supplier known as South Eastern.

In summary I like Turk guns. My favorite is the Manlicher type 88 model. It was Turk converted for use with stripper clips from the Mannlicher clip fed. The USA importer marked it for S bore. The Ottoman Empire bayonet I got with it is probably more collectible than the rifle. I haven’t shot it in 30 years as it is not safe with modern 8MM ammo. I used the milder data from Cartridges of the World the author claimed was safe in the 88’s. 

Here are my CZ clones. I was mistaken as the large 9MM is not Turk but Italian made by Tangfolio. The 45 is a heavy beast with a 15+1 capacity. The weight from the steel frame and a mag full of 45’s really tames the recoil. Both the large clones fit in the new and the old leather US GI holsters. The compact 9MM is often my winter CCW pistol. It’s a bit heavy when compared to a poly frame for IWB carry but after a few days I become accustomed to it. I was disappointed the common CZ wood grips will not fit the compact model. Being a persnickety ol fogie I prefer wood grips but I’m to much of a cheap skate to shell out 60 bucks. Both 9’s handle the Eastern Bloc steel case ammo. 

73111BD7-6ADC-4E89-8E88-CEB10AB2982B.jpeg

36190620-7B3C-4CF2-9241-B64C8C4DDD52.jpeg

41ABCD33-E33E-47E2-95C1-84426FDDB3AB.jpeg

• 1 year later...

I liked Turk 8mm $4 for a 70 rd bado with stripper clips!!!  Be still my heart!!  Last I saw a guy at a show was asking 70 bucks a Bando and getting it!!!!

I did have to take some, cracked necks...down for components,,,but on the whole, I wish I still had a case or two.

$59 Turks  and MAS 36. etc

Unless Trump gets in, or someone like him with a good congress, I dont think we will see such days again

karl