Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Proper revolver opening and closing

FC

Ever watched the tournament revolver shooters, they are pretty hard on their guns. Banging the extractor rod and beat the cylinder in and out. I’ve only seen videos of Jerry shooting rapidly from a stationary location. I’m sure if and when he participates in the revolver tournaments when they speed load while running from one station to another as fast as possible he’s likely beating the extractor and cylinder in and out. I don’t imagine he cares as I’m sure his sponsor Smith &Wesson will send him another tuned revolver or two from their custom shop for free after a simple phone call. 

Something Jerry missed in his video. When closing a revolver cylinder. It’s a good idea to gently press the crane in rather than the cylinder.  It saves wear and tear on the crane and ejector rod. If you really want to baby it but it’s over kill in my mind. Push the cylinder release knob backwards while gently closing the cylinder. While Backpage was alive and I was trading for S&W revolvers. It really pissed me off if the ejector rod was bent as it’s caused by abuse.

Not necessarily abuse but steel and aluminum case revolver ammo often needs the ejector rod being beat on to extract the steel cases. 38’s not to bad if only a single case is sticking but two or more required a good smack with something. 357’s are always difficult and I wound up using a school book left in my shooting bud’s car as the heel of my got bruised. Aluminum easier but the ever so common cracked cases were as difficult as steel. I threw in the towel with a box of steel 357’s in my revolvers and shot the remainder in a Rossi lever action rifle. They were a bit sticky in the rifle but I didn’t have to beat them out as I did in a revolver. I can’t imagine how difficult it might be extracting steel cases from a single action revolver. 

1 hour ago, Dr.Hess said:

He fires a revolver like a machine gun.

Jerry wasn’t exactly easy on his revolver’s cylinder. He must be shooting a modified revolver using custom moon clips. I assume he was shooting 38’s. His ammo might also be custom made. From what I’ve read on the net and saw on TV. The cylinders are often modified to use moon clips. Some 38 cylinders modified to shoot 9MM on moon clips and many of the 38 shooters will handload using the shorter 38 New Colt Police or more commonly named Smith & Wesson (not Special) brass. The shorter cartridges must go in and out easier and faster. Looks like his ammo was loaded mild as I didn’t see much recoil.

Despite any possible modifications, Jerry’s shooting is pretty dam impressive. The kind of guy I would want to be beside me if I ran into a bunch of BLM bad guys in a parking lot after they eye balled my beer!! Jerry must spend a good deal of time practicing, exercising and strengthening his grip and trigger finger. From what I saw on TV a few years ago. Coupled with his rapid trigger manipulation and speed loading his target hits showed good accuracy. I wonder how well Jerry could do shooting the heavier N-frame revolver with the eight round cylinder.  

1 hour ago, Dr.Hess said:

His youtube channel is a good watch.  When he does the speed revolver shooting, he loads extra heavy bullets because they will fall into the cylinder faster/easier.  He did a 16 shot revolver with reload record too, that one used the 9mm on moon clips.  There's one where he shoots a S&W 500 fast.  I forget the numbers, but I think it was 5 in <3 seconds.  He puts it down and says he's done. His hand grip strength must be like a vice.  That's all he does, professional shooting.

Have you noticed in his videos the shelves in Jerry’s reloading room?? He has enough ammo and reloading components to feed an army. Best of all it was all likely freebies from manufacturers wanting their products to appear in his videos. Comical in a way what he would put down as his occupation on a credit or insurance app. I’m sure whomever processed it was a bit confused seeing professional shooter. Possibly he tones it down by saying exhibition shooter so the banker doesn’t think he’s a hit man. I do have to admire him and wish I could perform half as good as he does but I’m not even close. 

Back in the 70’s, a former shooting bud could do a mag dump with a 1911 or his Browning HP so rapidly he was once challenged by the range personnel believing he had illegally converted his pistols to full autos. At the time shooters with full autos or any NFA gun had to show their ID and ATF paperwork to the range master. My friend was quick, I think he had a method of using recoil similar to a bump stock. He used two hands holding the pistol close to his belly. He stuck his left finger straight and horizontal in the trigger guard then pushed the pistol into his finger. A seven rd mag dump from his 1911 was so fast it sounded like a loud burp. He often had stoppages before emptying the mag with his High Power. I also watched him one day do it with an old Spanish Astra. My friend was quick but not as fast as Miculek shooting double action. 

Your friend was bumping the trigger.  Bump fire or something like that.  There's a vid out there of a guy doing it with an AR next to a guy with a full auto AR.  Not a bump stock, just holding the rifle lightly and pulling it forward into your finger.  He was almost as fast as a full auto dumping a 30 round mag.

I had very limited success years ago bump firing a M-1 Carbine, at best a 4-5 rd burst. Way back in the 70’s watched a guy do what was then named belt loop shooting a M-1 Garand until the range Nazis made him stop. From what I’ve heard and read bump firing the Garand will destroy the op rod. 

A few years ago a guy with a 9MM AR-15 using a rubber band on the trigger was posting YouTube videos shooting it nearly as fast as a full auto. Many of the comments were asking him to delete his videos. Many of the posters and my two cents as well. The antis would save and use the videos claiming one could easily turn a semi AR into a machine gun with a rubber band. I believe the poster caved from the peer pressure removing the shooting videos and his how to instructions. Technically the AR is still a legal semi-auto but the ignorant of guns general public and commie legislators will see and claim it is a machine gun. All one has to do is recall how BS phony press renamed the Black Talon bullet into the “cop killer” although the bullet never killed a cop and a standard run of the mill 9MM FMJ would stand a better chance of penetrating Kevlar.